Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Equipment for Beginner

Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1920

• Joe
  • Fresh Boarder
I have no photograph experience besides shooting with a point and shot camera. And i am looking to get a DSLR to take better everyday life pictures for my wife and a young child. I hope my skill will be better as the kid growing up. I don't have a big budget and i don't think i will make a living of being a photographer. So I can't justify to buy pro equipment. I think i am getting a refurb D5100 body. And my question is what lens should i get first? a nikkor 50mm 1.8g? or a sigma 70-200 2.8? And what else do i need besides lens? tripod? remote? flash? camera bag? strap? Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1921

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Joe!,

Welcome to the #Cazillions community :)

Very good you want to join in to photography with a DSLR. But you are asking a big question.

Your suggested equipment is already for people with deep pockets. Like the 70-200 2.8, thats a $ 1000 or more lens. Or the 50mm 1.8g which is a $ 170 lens.

If you want to take normal life images of your wife and kid, i think the 70-200 equipment is way above your use. I think you should try a Nikon D5100 + 18-105 VR. Which gives you some space in vocal length.

If you want to go professional, or going to photography sports, or professional outside photoshoots, then you should think about a 70-200 f/2.8 or so.. Only images of wife and kid, no offense, but the Nikon D5100 with a 18-105 lens will give you enough space.

And if you have grown out of it, you can allways get better lenses.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1922

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hello there Joe and welcome to the forum. :)

Great to see you are getting into photography. It is a rewarding hobby. And a career for a lucky few.

I have some ideas as to what camera you could purchase. Before I say anything, you say you don't have a massive budget, and that is okay. But, could you give me an idea (a general figure) of how much you want to spend on a camera and lens? Once we have a better of your funds, we can best advise you.

As a beginner, you don't really need a big 70-200 lens yet. I guarantee that you will still get very good shots with cheaper equipment. Once you start to improve, you can purchase more in accordance with your needs. :)

Thanks,
Conor.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1923

• Joe
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are awesome!

My budget is about $1000 - $1500(been saving for a while). I am okay with spending a little more for good gears with good resell value. But spending $2300 on a nikkor 70-200 f2.8 is just way out of my league. That's why i mention a sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm II. I found a couple around $600 in my local area from different sellers. From most of the youtube video i watched, they all recommend a 50mm 1.8. A $200 lens is not that bad lens to start i think?? The reason i pick d5100 is the video, with capable of using a external mic, swivel screen. A refurb d5100 is around $460, i can live with that.

So I pick a body, i just need to know what lens i should get first. 50mm sounds like a must have, and 70-200 could be a 1 or 2 year plan down the road. what do you guys think? and any good to have accessories?

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1925

• Conor Casey
Joe wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are awesome!

Aww, thanks. :cheer:

Okay, so the D5100 is absolutely fine for you. It is a very good sort of upper entry level camera. Alternatively, there is the D3200 but at 24mps, you will likely have to buy a new hard drive for your PC as the file sizes will be huge. I'd go with the D5100. Are you planning on getting the kit lens with the camera, ie: the Nikon 18-55mm?

My advise regarding other gear is simple and both Roy and I have said it before. I'd get the SLR and a lens, maybe the kit lens or if you want a higher quality zoom, maybe the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. Then, I'd just use them for a little while and let your photography develop before buying anything else.

You say that you have no photographic experience other than shooting with a compact. Therefore, I think you should get the D5100 and one standard lens and wait and see what subjects you like to shoot and then make further purchases based on that. For example, if you like macro work, by waiting, you will still have the funds to get a macro lens. Or, if you find you like landscape work, you can buy a tripod and maybe filters. By buying lost of equipment initially, you could find that in the future, you may be left with equipment you use rarely and then have no money left for kit you really need. I'd wait a little while and let your photography grow and develop with the D5100 and one lens and go from there. And if you ever need advise, we are always here. :)

Some may disagree, but they are my thoughts anyway. ;)

Good luck. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1928

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
You won't want to start with prime lenses, they are very limiting for beginners. Always try to save up for 2.8 or fixed aperture lenses and not variable ones.

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1996

• Joe
  • Fresh Boarder
I am going to get a refurb body and i don't think i am getting any kit lens. I want to get one lens to start with. If 50mm 1.8 is limiting, what about Tamron 28-75mm f2.8? It's cheap, fast and have the most used range. or spend a little bit more for the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC? Sigma 24-80mm 2.8 is another option also. The more i look, the more i am confused.

Re: Equipment for Beginner 4 years 3 months ago #1998

• Conor Casey
Well Joe, a 24-70mm f/2.8 is generally considered to be a very good general all purpose lens for full frame cameras. For DX cameras, which your D5100 is, 24-70 will provide a focal length of 36-105mm in 35mm terms. While this is still a useful focal length, you may find it is not wide enough for some subjects as it is moving into the medium telephoto category.

This is why many DX users do not use this focal length. Most DX users prefer the focal length of 18-50 or similar as I suggested earlier. This is because it offers a focal length of 27-75mm in full frame terms and a nice fast constant aperture of f/2.8. I'd advise the Sigma 18-50 or Tamron 17-50 or if you can afford it, the Nikon 17-55. All are f/2.8 lenses.

Good luck. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Conor Casey.