Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!!

What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #1944

• davor
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

My question: I´m shooting a wedding for my sister. I have Nikon D300 and a kit lens 16-85mm 3,5-5,6. I´m going to buy a SB910.

I want to keep working on my Photography. I have already read 1000 of books about anything possible in photography. I´m even studying the light for the moment (for my own - through some good books). I feel like I have a lot of knowledge of taking good pictures but "bad"/not well equipment (I know that you can take even good with "bad" equipment, but as I sad not well equipment).

I´m considering buying a full frame Nikon in future - maybe in 2 or 1 year. But for the moment I feel like I have too first buy good lenses, even if I have a Nikon D300.

Should I buy a Nikon 70-200 VRII (I know I have 1.5 crop on D300) and use it together with my 16-85 for the wedding???? Or better 24-70 mm 2.8? Or do you suggest something else? I don´t want to buy 17-55mm because sometime in future (coming 3 years)I want to own "the holy trinity" of lenses.

Thanks for your time and answers!

Greetings from Munich-Germany!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #1945

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Herzlich Willkommen! :cheer:

Considering your current equipment and the fact you will be shooting a wedding, I'd go with the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8. I think it would be most useful right now for you. You can use it to shoot the wedding and if you do decide to upgrade to full frame, it is a very useful full frame lens.

You already have a lens in the focal length of the 24-70mm range which can be used for the wedding. If you do decide to go full frame, you can purchase the 24-70mm safe in the knowledge that you already have one of the "holy trinity" lenses. You are right in saying that good lenses are the way to go.

I think the 70-200mm is the best short and long term option for you.

Hope this helped. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #1953

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Davor!,

Well, i first thought of getting the 24-70 lens.. Just because its so awsome!

But! Like Conor said, you have a lens in that vocal length. In that case i would go for the 70-200 F/2.8 VR II. That will give you some awsome quality.

To be honest, a Nikon D300 is a well made piece of equipment which should give you awsome quality of images. If you print it or work in low light situations, i would understand of wanting to upgrade, but i think the D300 is a good piece of equipment.

Well, Conor said it all basicly :) Good luck on your choices, let us know :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2059

• Conor Casey
^^^Errm, excuse me, this post by "chenjing1989" looks like Spam to me.^^^

He/she has revived topics from eight months ago with the same message all over the forum. @ "chenjing1989": this is a forum for people with interests in photography and is not a place for spam. Greg, could you delete them please? :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2061

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Absolute spammer right there... LOL

Anyways, 70-200 f/2.8 hands down. I will sell my left kidney just to get one of that... or wait for Christmas where I would have saved up. LOL

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2063

Ok gone...just hit the report to moderator link if it happens again. Thanks.

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2064

• Conor Casey
Oh, never even saw button. :blink:

Thanks anyway Greg. :side:
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2066

• Roy van Ommen
I have not seen that button too. :p.. but thats because my browser logs me out everytime.. very annoying...

Greetings,
Roy

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2069

• Conor Casey
Mine too. Are you using Google Chrome by any chance?
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2070

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Conor,

No, i am mainly on Internet Explorer. But for the forum i use Firefox because Firefox remembers my login and password so i only have to click on login.

Still annoying though..

Greetings,
Roy

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2071

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I actually got to see that button; LOL I happen to have used it to report on that spammer.

Yeah, strangely, I am always logged out from the forums using Chrome...

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: What to buy - have to take fast a decision !!!!!! 4 years 3 months ago #2075

• Roy van Ommen
Maybe Greg uses Session cookies. Thats why we get logged out after a certain time.. which is.. kinda annoying haha :)

Greetings,
Roy
  • Page: