Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D600

Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2247

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55

Well, as anticipated, Nikon has released the D600 - the "little brother" to the D800.

Here are the highlights of the D600:
  • 24.3 effective Megapixel, full-frame CMOS sensor EXPEED 3 image processor
  • Supports all Nikon F-mount lenses with no crop factor (except when using DX-format lenses)
  • Magnesium alloy body is sealed against dust and moisture; shutter rated to 150,000 cycles
  • New 39-point autofocus system has nine cross-type sensors and 3D subject tracking
  • 3.2' LCD display with 921,000 pixels
  • Optical viewfinder has 100% coverage and 0.7x magnification
  • Full manual controls, with 14-bit RAW support
  • ISO range of 100 - 6400, expandable to 50 - 25600
  • Shutter speed range of 30 - 1/4000 sec
  • Continuous shooting at up to 5.5 frames/second
  • HDR and time-lapse modes
  • Electronic level
  • Built-in flash with wireless control, plus a hot shoe for something more powerful
  • Records Full HD video (1920 x 1080) at 24p, 25p, or 30p with monaural sound, plenty of manual controls
  • Live video mirroring over HDMI
  • Stereo mic input, headphone output
  • Supports new WU-1b Wireless Adapter, which lets you use your smartphone to download and share images, as well as release the shutter remotely
  • Dual SD card slots
  • Uses EN-EL15 lithium-ion battery, 900 shots per charge

• So, what do you guys think? Is anyone thinking of upgrading? Would you go for this over the D800? At €2299 body only, it ain't cheap. Especially considering the D800 is €700 more expensive at €2999. I think if you don't need the massive resolution of the D800, the D600 is a good compromise. The €700 change could be put towards a good lens.

One thing I am unsure of is Nikon's decision to sell the D600 with the 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5 lens in a kit. In my opinion, cameras costing over €2000 do not need a kit lens, particularly one that appears to be the full frame version of an 18-55mm. I'd rather save and get a higher quality 24-70mm F/2.8 if I was buying this camera which would last me several bodies.

When I first saw the features, it kind of struck me as a pimped up, full frame D7000. And in all of this, we are still left with the question: where is the D400?

So, what does everyone think? :)

Thanks. And some videos of the camera for your enjoyment:

Conor Casey
    Flickr
    Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Conor Casey.
    The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2256

• Roy van Ommen
    • Creative minds for all!
    • Thank you received: 86
    Yeah.. what should i say about it. Good marketing step.

Would i get a D600 above a D800? No, i would save money for the D800..

And yeah.. don't see anything wrong on it on a "basic FX" camera.. But i think that when you are doing professional work, you should get a D800, or even a D4.. i think this is a bit too weak for professional work even it is a FX body..

Just my opinion... :)

Greetings,
    Roy
    Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2274

• Andrew Olson
    • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 5
    I agree with Roy on this one as well. While this is a great camera for the person looking to upgrade from say a D3xxx/D5xxx or even the D90/7000 people, doing professional work I would go with the D800.

I myself have a D5000, and I can tell I have really outgrown it, for example I would like CLS, AF motor, full frame obviously, dual cards slots, full hd video. I think if I went with the D600, I would not be disappointing per se but, I would just rather get the D800.

And for me it does not hep that my uncle, and a friend at school have gotten their D800 recently and I have gotten to test them both out. D800 envy lol.

On a side note about the D400, now that the D600 is $US 2,100, would it be kind of hard to put out a D400 DX camera for say $US 1,800? Lots of people want the high end DX for certain uses but, now that the D600 is somewhat affordable does it leave room for a high end DX? Maybe there will be a D400 in this generation, not sure, but I am thinking DX wont be around much longer after that.

Andy
    Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Olson.

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2278

• Conor Casey
    Yeah, I agree with you guys. I think once you get past the €2,000 mark, you may as well get exactly what you want, and not make a compromise if you can truly afford it. But the D600 will be a good compromise for those who want full frame but are on a budget.
    I myself have a D5000, and I can tell I have really outgrown it, for example I would like CLS

I am surprised the D5000 doesn't have CLS. Maybe that was reserved for the D90... Pity, because I have CLS with the D90 and it is well worth it.

Sadly, perhaps you are correct about the D400. I can't see many people going for a DX D400 over the D600 if they are so close in price. I guess it's good as it makes full frame more accessible for everyone. Maybe the D7000 was more the successor to the D300s as opposed to the D90?
    Conor Casey
    Flickr

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2281

• Conor Casey

Also, forgot to mention, as many of you know, Canon has released the competitor to the D600: the Eos 6D.

I won't go through all the specs like I did with the Nikon as you can probably find them somewhere else online.

Basically, I think it looks like a bit of a fail from Canon. I mean, yes it is full frame which the 7d was not. But, really, if you were beginning out from scratch (ie: not lenses etc from either brand) in photography and buying full frame (lucky you), I can see no reason to buy the 6D over the D600.

The D600 is superior in many ways to the 6d:

1)20 compared to 24 megapixels
    2) 4.5 fps compared to 5.5
    3) No weather sealing
    4) 11 point AF compared to 39 - even the 7D has a better AF than this full frame option. This is like the 5D mark II Af system
    5) 1 cross type AF compared to 9

I do however like the fact that Canon is selling it with the high quality 24-105mm f/4 as opposed to the lower quality 24-85mm that Nikon is selling with the D600.

I understand that many users in this market will have lenses and other stuff from respective brands and are unlikely to sell to switch, but still, the D600 is looking like a better option if you have no brand loyalties. Thoughts?
    Conor Casey
    Flickr

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2282

• Roy van Ommen
    My short opinion:

Bad step Canon, Bad step. No innovative functions in the new camera. Its a refurbished 5d mk2.. with another logo on it.

Not my cup of tea ;)

Greetings,
    Roy

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2283

• Conor Casey
    Roy van Ommen wrote:
    My short opinion:

Bad step Canon, Bad step. No innovative functions in the new camera. Its a refurbished 5d mk2.. with another logo on it.
    Agreed.

There is one innovate feature; it has GPS which records your location and Wi-Fi file transfer and remote control. Personally though, I think they are both gimmicks and not essential features.

I forgot to say that the 6D also only has a 97% viewfinder compared to 100% of the D600. 97% simply isn't good enough for a full frame camera these days. It is more comparable to my D90. :(
    Conor Casey
    Flickr

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2284

• Roy van Ommen
    Oh yeah, the GPS...

Well.. i am a kind of professional photographer. But this camera is for people who are starting professional. If you are starting professional, you know what you shoot. And you know where. I really do not need a GPS thing for that. I can point Google maps to the exact location if i want to.

If i want a GPS upgrade, there is some aftermarket stuff for sale for DSLR's or even the genuine stuff.

Really... this piece of equipment is useless. I would get a 7D over this one. A total miss step from Canon.

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2285

• Conor Casey
    Again, completely agree, I've never had this problem. I'd wager that 95% of the time, photographers know where they are. Even for landscape photographers, most will plan their shoot carefully. It's not like we are taking random trips to outer Mongolia and have no idea where we are when shooting... :dry:

Plus, in terms of Wi-fi, I don't really see the purpose either. Most (if not all) of the photographers who are going to be using this camera will be taking the photos home to post process on the computer. They are not going to be uploading the Raw files straight to the internet surely. 95% of photos taken with this camera will be post processed and not uploaded straight away as it is full frame and used by serious shooters. Good maybe for a compact but not for a camera costing over €2,000. I have no idea what Canon were thinking here. Market research, people! :P

There is no headphone jack for video either in the 6D which, at this price point, is pretty disappointing. If I was a Canon user, I think I'd be looking for a cheap 5D Mark II instead of this... particularly if I was into video...
    Conor Casey
    Flickr
    Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2290

• Roy van Ommen
    Agree with your statement.

Plus, the very bad autofocus system.. doh...

Really.. i am really shocked by Canon. If they brought this out 4 years ago, everyone would be like wauw and great and awsome. They now put something out for $ 2100 which is as much worth as a rock... :(

Well, it still is a camera which is a tool like a hammer for a craftsman. But the tool will make things easier and the better the tool works, the better quality work you can deliver. And i think this is an old tool..

Greetings,
    Roy

Re: Nikon D600 4 years 2 months ago #2291

• Andrew Olson
    • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 5
    Canon 6D vs Nikon D600

4.5 vs 5.5 fps 0/1

97% vs 100% veiw-finder 0/2

11 (1 cross) vs 39 point AF (9 cross), not sure why Canon did not at least use something similar to the 7D AF in this one. Also the D600 allows for AF at F/8, nil on the Canon. 0/3

20 vs 24 mp 0/4

Single vs dual cards slots 0/5

Mic vs Mic and Headphone 0/6

No pop up flash vs pop up flash and commander mode (CLS) 0/7

1/180 vs 1/200s flash sync (auto FP with D600) 0/8

Uncompressed video with D600, nil for Canon. 0/9

Not sure but I assume no video crop modes let alone still crop modes on the 6D, 0/10

100-25600 vs 100-6400 native, ok 1 for Canon here 1/10

Okay not to sound like a total Nikon fan-boy but, I just listed eleven things most important on today's cameras and near as I can tell the D600 does almost everything better for the same price. Im sure both are good cameras, but at the same price? Seems to me this 6D should be even less like around where the rumors of the D600 were, like US$1500. But then again it is Canon and they can do what they want.

Andy
    Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Olson.