Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses....

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 10 months ago #3008

• Marcelo Canda
  • Junior Boarder
  • I love photography!!
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Greg!

I have a questions and perhaps you can do a video about this subject....
I think if we can really know how to buy used gear perhaps we can save money and keep shooting... B)

Mainly in used lenses (and specially "old jewels") if we have the ability to "see" them we can save money and upgrade with good gear our photo equipment.

Try to think about this and thank you for your attention.
Marcelo aka MCPhotography
from Buenos Aires,Argentina
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 10 months ago #3016

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Here’s what I do and all of my lenses are used except for one of them. I like to ask why they are selling, unless you’re buying from a store. I than open the aperture blades all the way and look into a light, looking for mold, lots of dust and I mean lots of dust, minor dust won’t affect anything and checking for scratches. I also check the focus and zoom rings to see how they feel, most Nikon lenses should nice and smooth. Last I slap the lens on the camera to make sure that it focuses correctly.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo, Marcelo Canda
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 10 months ago #3019

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I agree, I like to hold and try used gear 1st hand unless it's from a reputable site. That way you know you can return the item if it doesn't work. Almost every piece of gear I own is used :ohmy: ! I would really like to buy some new/used glass but it's just sooooo expensive :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcelo Canda

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 9 months ago #3359

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
When buying a used camera body,how much of a shutter count would be on a excellent condition camera and how do i inspect it to make sure everything works?

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 9 months ago #3360

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
To me for a camera to be in excellent condition I would have to say 10% or less of the shutter count. As far to ensure everything works…test it. I really can’t say anything beyond that
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Marcelo Canda

How to buy an used gear (camera,flash,lenses.... 3 years 9 months ago #3361

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
If you're buying used gear, I would advise you to buy from your local camera store. My one has an extensive range of used gear, although the gems, like the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I that I saw the other day, don't seem to last very long. :(

I bought an SB-800 used last year there for a pretty good price. I was able to inspect it carefully for any blemishes and was then able to use it with the camera. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

If you're going down the route of Ebay or such, the only piece of advice I can offer anyone is to check the seller's reputation and feedback that other people have left. If it is low or if they have poor feedback and you still decide to buy from them, if the product turns out to be faulty, you only have yourself to blame!

A final piece of advise for Ebay: check the conditions the seller is putting forward. Be sure that you can return it if it is faulty and that they accept returns etc.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Conor Casey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Marcelo Canda