Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What equipment to increase my nature shooting

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3152

Mostly wild birds in the backyard. I have a 300 f4 but it really doesn't have the reach on my D700. My thought was to save up, buy a 300 2.8 and the 1.7 tele. Any thoughts?
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3153

Thats a good combination, you also might try the 1.4 tele. I've heard the 2.0 isn't very good, fyi. Once you are that far in you might need to be on a tripod all the time!
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3154

So now the question is which tripod? I have been looking at the Three Legged Thing Adrian and considering a Jobu gimbal head. Any thoughts there as there are so many its confusing?

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3155

The 3LT tripods are nice (something special coming soon!) and so are the Manfrotto tripods. I' haven't used a gimbal head yet, its on my list! As long as you stick with the big manufacturers of tripods you will be fine, just pick one in your price and feature range.

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3156

From what I've heard, the NEW 2.0 TLE is awesome. Especially compared to the old one. I was recently in Allen's Camera and asked that exact question. I've heard the same response from multiple sources.

I don't think you'll "need" a gimble head on your tripod, just a GOOD one. My recommendation would be Manfrotto legs and heads all the way. I've been more than happy with all mine.

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3157

Here's a link to the teleconverter.

References

www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/...rter-TC-20E-III.html

What equipment to increase my nature shooting 3 years 10 months ago #3158

my friend if you are thinking to buy a new 300 2.8 and a telecoverter:

You can buy the 200-400 f:4 instead for the nearly equal price. As a plus you will receive a zoom range instead of a fixed focal length.

I will always choose a longer lens instead of a shorter one with tele.