Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700?

Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700? 3 years 10 months ago #3162

I'm having trouble deciding what to do since i can spend my money only oncen

I use the D700 with the AF-S 24-70 F2.8 and for Christmas i got some cash which I'm going to spend on my photography. But now I'm not sure. On the one hand I would love to get the 105mm VR Micro, but i can also get the SB-700 with the AF-S 50mm F1.4. I don't do a whole lot of macro, but the range and bokeh of the 105 is great for weddings and portraits, including newborn photography.

However for shooting weddings the 50mm and the SB-700 would be a good investment I think. I used to use a Metz AF48 flash, but the SB-700 should be comparable with light, but just better compatible and more features. I was looking for the SB-900 but the heat problems is crap, you don't want that in a wedding. The SB-910 is to expensive, and the problem of overheating has just been altered, not really removed.

What would you do?
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700? 3 years 10 months ago #3163

you have mixed thoughts I can understand.

A 50mm and 85mm lens view can be altered with a few steps you can go further or back.

But a flash is a must in many cases you will deal in wedding photos. and between sb700 and 910 go with the bigger one its better for you. also buy some reflectors.

These are the things I would buy if I were you
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700? 3 years 10 months ago #3164

I rarely use my 50mm. I had it in my main camera bag for about 3 months and never used it once. I have a few macro lenses but don't use them a lot either. I use my 24-70 for a lot of close up work since it has a good close focus. Not sure which lens to tell you to buy, but you definitely need the SB-700. I use off camera flash all the time. You should consider this kit to buy with the SB-700... Photoflex lighting kit. It will allow you to use your flash off camera which is much more flexible and useful all the time.

Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700? 3 years 10 months ago #3165

Thanks Greg... Damn it's difficult haha.

I've been reading up a little ( understatement ). It seems the SB-910 does have a lot going for it over the SB-900 with the heat problems. The point being I am expecting to get more work in weddings so I need a flash. I think that if the SB-700 had the possibility for external power source like the Godox PB820 power-pack I would buy that one.

But seeming they don't have it, I am looking at the SB-910 with an external battery-pack.

It's hard picing the things you need and want. An SB-700 with and AF-S 50mm F1.4, or with the 85 AF-D F1.8. Or should I just get the SB-910 and be ready for years to come... The combinations cost the same and is my budget.

I also use the 24-70 most of the time, and I can rent lenses cheaply here if I need a 70-200 VRII for a wedding and stuff.

The lighting kit you described is similar to my studio equipment. I can use my softboxes and umbrella's in the same manner by just using and adapter to mount the flash, so that's covered.

Thanks so far Greg, and now be my Messiahs and tell me what to buy hahaha

Nikkor 105mm VR Micro or 50mm F1.4 AF-S + SB-700? 3 years 10 months ago #3166

Hi Remco, go for the 105mm 2.8 Micro. It´s a wonderful lens for Portrait, Details and Macro. Never want to be without it anymore.