Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help with of camera speed light & D7000

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3840

• Staffan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think that I am going crazy :woohoo:

I bought a SB-700 speed light (my first off camera flash) I had no problems getting the system to trigger at first and I shot about 50 shots of a friend. Went to my desktop and viewed the photos and after a short brake I was going to take some more photos but now the flash didn't trigger. I checked my settings but nothing happens.

After recharging the batteries, the SB-700 still didn't work.

Next day I reset the SB-700, started to try all sorts of settings but I cant get it to work. The SB-700 works on the camera but not off camera.

I contacted Nikon and they asked me to try some more settings and when that didn't work. I sent the flash to Nikon for repair.

Yesterday I got the SB-700 back with a note that they had tested the unit for a long time and there are no problems with it.

So I set it up again and I still cant get it to work as it did in the beginning.

When the flash was working in the beginning I had my on camera flash set as cmd Manual at the lowest power to just trigger the flash. The SB-700 was in Remote, advance and TTL

If I set the flash to SU-4 I can trigger it with my camera but I cant get the flash to make any difference to my exposer.

I added some photos of my settings. Can there be a problem with my D7000? Because as I wrote the flash was easy to setup as an off camera flash in Advance and TTL mode in the beginning.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3843

is the built in flash going off on the 7k?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3845

• Staffan
  • Fresh Boarder
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
is the built in flash going off on the 7k?

Yes it goes off every time

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3856

• Staffan
  • Fresh Boarder
I just tested the Flash in remote & advance mode with my old d80 and now the flash works off camera. But when I pull out my D7k the flash does not go off.

I guess this means that the problem must be with my D7k and not the sb-700. Ore maybe my settings. Could you look at the settings above and tell me if something looks off. On the D80 I just put it in the same channels and built in flash as cmd m 1/125 power and the SB-700 as ttl.

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3861

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I honestly have no idea Staffan. The only thing I can think of, and it's a long shot because I don't read Swedish, is that your shutter speed in the shot is too high. For my D90 and Sb-800, the max shutter speed is 1/200th of a second where you have 1/250th set in the shot. That is my only guess and I think it's wrong; if you haven't, you should try setting a variety of shutter speeds and apertures.

Other than that, I have no idea what the problem is and I actually think that the problem could be with the D7000 itself, particularly if the flash was working fine with the D80.

Sorry I can't be of any help but that is my best shot.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Staffan

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3864

• Staffan
  • Fresh Boarder
Conor Casey wrote:
I honestly have no idea Staffan. The only thing I can think of, and it's a long shot because I don't read Swedish, is that your shutter speed in the shot is too high. For my D90 and Sb-800, the max shutter speed is 1/200th of a second where you have 1/250th set in the shot. That is my only guess and I think it's wrong; if you haven't, you should try setting a variety of shutter speeds and apertures.

Other than that, I have no idea what the problem is and I actually think that the problem could be with the D7000 itself, particularly if the flash was working fine with the D80.

Sorry I can't be of any help but that is my best shot.

Thanks for your answer :)

I didn't notice that I had my menu set to Swedish on the camera :blush: When the flash was working I used up to 1/320th but I tried to lower the shutter speed to 1/160th now and it didn't help but thanks for the tip!

I think your right that it must be the camera itself so I will try to see if Nikon will do a check up on both the camera and my flash together to see where the problem is.

Help with of camera speed light & D7000 3 years 7 months ago #3866

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the camera? Also does the flash fire on program or any of the auto modes? Do you have another flash to try on the camera(or one you can borrow)?