Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Second Lens ideas?!

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4049

Hi,

I am new to the photography world so dont know a lot right now but am half way through a huge travel year.

I am in Australia travelling the coast for another month, then Fiji but then i'll be in the states for a month through the main places like vegas and New York

My main problem is i only have a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens i often find it limiting so i am looking for second lens ideas/suggestions. Possibly a wide angled lens due to the landscapes i find myself on and wanting to fit lots into the one shot without having to stitch photos together later

Oh, and my body is a Nikon D3000

Thanks for any help!

Ben
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4051

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I love my zoom lens. That's what I would get, I always thought the 18 to 55 was considered wide angle - guess I was wrong ;)
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4055

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
well if you want width I'd go with the sigma 10-20 or for even wider there's the sigma 8-16! If you have a little more to spend Nikon's got a 10-24 and a 12-24. It's all going to depend on your budget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben Macleod

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4057

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
While a wideer angle would let you caputre more, 18 is already pretty wide. If you really want to do landscapes on a DX body like that, I would recommend doing what you're trying to avoid. Get a nice telephoto lens and take several images and stitch them together. You can get much better detail doing that and everything will "pop" that much better if you're getting a decent size print made.

A single image on the 10MP sensor you have, assuming you're cropping a bit to get more of a panorama vibe isn't going to give you a whole lot of data. But, take 10 images zoomed in and panning around and you're going to approach 60-80 MP (depending on how much overlap you give the image) which will be much sharper.

I recommend the 70-300 VR as it's a low-end full-frame lens and as such, on a DX body you're only shooting through the best part of the glass. Alternatively, the 55-200 or the 55-300 are decent enough as well, and both lighter than the 70-300. They're also all fairly budget friendly as lenses go.

But, if you want a wide angle for single-image shots, Bill's recommendations are great.

If you've never done the stitching before, it's pretty addictive. I've used the free Microsoft ICE (on Windows) and have been really impressed. Remember to take all of your images in portrait (tall) orientation not landscape (wide) for the least amount of distortion when putting them together.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Tim Shrimpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben Macleod

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4065

Thanks a lot for the help guys, yes budget unfortunately is a massive limiter as i'm in the middle of a travel on a tight budget but the 55-200 looks like a possible lens, just may have a lot of work to do when i get back after my travels!

I think i know the answer, but has anyone tried the wide angle lens attachments you can buy online such as:
www.ebay.com/itm/43-WIDE-ANGLE-LENS-for-...&hash=item2c6b0d9e24
As i say i dont expect they will work or be worth buying, but if anyone has and recommends them it'd be a nice cheap quick-temp option for now perhaps?

Also, if anyone knows any "must get" shots and any times of day in vegas as it'll be a great scene to catch some great shots, that'll be a help as i've never been before!

Cheers, Ben

Second Lens ideas?! 3 years 7 months ago #4074

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I think for traveling, the longer zoom lenses will serve you better considering you already have an 18-55mm which is pretty wide. A good zoom will give you a good range of 18-200/300mm depending on which you go for.

If it was me, I'd lean towards the 55-300mm over the 55-200mm. They are essentially the same but there is no harm in having the extra range in the 300mm if you can afford it because compared to the 55-200mm, you are not losing anything, only gaining an extra 100mm in reach with the 55-300mm.

I have never heard of the wide angle lens attachments you linked I am afraid. Not too sure how they work to be honest but I have a feeling you'd get a lot of vignetting with them...

As for shooting in Las Vegas, it is all about shooting at the right time of day. Early morning light is best as it just before and then after sunset. Get up early and stay out late is my advice. You should also take a look at Greg's portfolio as he was in Vegas a few years ago. He even made a youtube video on it.

Let us know what you decide and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip Ben. :side:
Conor Casey
Flickr