Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Getting a new body... what to do...

Getting a new body... what to do... 2 years 2 months ago #6252

I've been using my trusty D700 for years now and it has never let me down. But I'm getting more and more jobs so I need to have 2 body's ( 1 for 2nd lens or backup in case of failure ) I could buy a nice D700, but I want to go up a step. The D3 is basicly the same and most are will used over here. I mostly do weddings and corporate work like interiors, portraits (studio ), products for websites/folders etc. I also do some dogsports/planespotting in my "pleasure" shooting.

I'm looking around the €2000 tot €2500 price, new or second hand. So here is the dilemma. I was waiting for the D750 as a successor for the D700. Although it seems to be a great camera, it's missing some things I need/use like 10 pin connector and Syncport, "only" 6.5 fps, and the build quality doesn't seem to be as good as the d700-800-3 series. I don't need Wifi or gizmo's, I need a workhorse I can depend on 24/7 even in our Dutch rainy conditions. And I have to buy new memory cards + the vertical grip, which makes it go way over that budget.

Then you have the D800. Easy to find with low clicks, quality build, just like my D700. But... It only does 4fps and it has 36mp which I don't need. The 36mp needs to have fast and big CF cards which are real expensive, the vertical grip is ridiculously expensive still, but I could get that for the price I am willing to pay. It's a young camera, perfect image quality etc. Stunning for portraits etc, but It lacks the speed I need from time to time, and I would also have to invest in new larger backup drives.

Then there is the D3s. A workhorse by any means. No grip needed, a stop better ISO than my D700, more FPS, but the same MP's and it's also a slightly older ( not outdated! ) design. Has grip built in. But is at the top range of the budget with decent amount of clicks ( 20K-50K ).

I will keep my D700 of course. But what would you do, or what would you not do... Go with the 36mp and slower speeds for more possibility in cropping, detail etc. Get the New kid on the block, 24mp is excellent, speed is almost there and see how much you miss the ports I use in studiosettings. Or get the fast but relative expensive king of ISO from a few years back with under 75K clicks...

I would love to read you thoughts about this choice.
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting a new body... what to do... 2 years 2 months ago #6253

Always a difficult decision. I am in a similar place...I really want to have two D4/s bodies but just can't do it with other stuff that is going on. I decided to sell my D3 and I think I am going to buy a D800 because I have had a bunch of requests for video work lately. Having the second body with great video capabilities and good for photo backup will work for me in the short term. As much as I don't want to get rid of it I have to. In the pro market you need to think about camera purchases in the short term.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Remco van de Sanden
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Getting a new body... what to do... 1 year 9 months ago #6412

It's been a while since this first post, but I feel it only fair to share my decisions with you all :)

I have made my decision some time ago. I came across D750 from a friend who had it for 2 months and made 500 clicks with it. He wanted to sell it because he did want the speed of the D4s. So I got his brand new D750, with grip for a very nice price.

I've used it for a few shoots now and I must say I am very impressed with the camera. I thought my D700 was a beast, but this runs rings around it. The AF system is phenomenal, so accurate and fast. Much better in low light. Group AF is great. High ISO is a lot better and very usable at higher ISO. Where I had my D700 at max ISO 3200 and very rarely at 6400, this can make usable images up to 6400-10.000 without a problem.
Another great benefit is the much lower weight. A D700 with 70-200 VRII, Grip and SB-910 is a lot to hold on a wedding all day. This is much more forgiving for the arms and neck.

I was afraid I might not like the smaller dimensions, but the grip is actually better than the D700. Deep and stable. The 6.5 FPS are good enough for most applications.

Iff there are some "negatives" to be said...
I miss the ISO button on top, and the time consuming AF mode selector. Build quality is good, nut it's not the D700/D3 level. Although it's mad from new composite carbon-fibre and magnesium ( Like most planes and race cars these days... ) so it might take some getting used to it. trusting the materials. But it feels sturdy enough.

It's a great little camera that packs a punch. Love it, and has replace my D700 as primary camera :)

www.remcovandesanden.nl

Getting a new body... what to do... 1 year 8 months ago #6420

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Full-time musician, part-time photographer
  • Thank you received: 1
Awesome, thanks for the update!

I'm starting to get some photography work on the side now and I've been considering the move to a second body at some point in the future. My D200 is fantastic in so many ways, but also very outdated and is getting up there in age and clicks. I'd hate for it to fail on a job.

I don't have a lot of work right now so I'm hoping I can save money over the course of the next year or two and make the D200 a backup at some point. Maybe I'd rent a second body for higher paying work, I don't know. Thoughts?

Getting a new body... what to do... 1 year 8 months ago #6422

The D200 is/was indeed a good camera. But if you are getting more serious and getting paid shoots a more modern body would be the way to go. Depending on you needs and budget you have many options. Most all modern camera's run rings around the D200. An affordable model as the D7x00 would be a huge step forwards. Or the D6x0 if you want to go FX.

But remember, the best body wont perform without a good lens ;)

www.remcovandesanden.nl

Getting a new body... what to do... 1 year 8 months ago #6423

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I'd say the D800 or D800E used. You are doing a lot of studio portrait work.
When you are doing weddings, or events, you can pop it onto 12 bit compressed raw to fit more in the buffer. If you are doing events you may even pop it into DX mode to squeeze out more shots before buffer chokes

Here is a table with all the buffer size values and number of pictures you can snap in the D8x0 line
photographylife.com/nikon-d810-buffer-size

Seems to be in your price range
www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D800-SLR-Digital-...y-Only-/230849978378
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Brent Ross.