Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D700 or D?

Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #419

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So here is my delima..

I have the Nikon D7000 and have been having issues with AF and ISO noise range. like I posted in the thread on the D7000 Focus issue.

I still love the camera but as I get more request to do photo's for projects and people I don't know how reliable it will be or that I preceive it's reliability to be at this point.

I have been looking at the Nikon D700 and have tested it out and it seemed amazing in the testing that I did. I was wondering what everyones thought on the Camera was or if you have any other suggestions for me too look into for possible main body.

I know the rumors of the D800 announcement to follow the newly announced D4. So me looking at the D700 might just be flowinig into looking at the D800 once released if not too long in the future.

Greg, quesiton for you, are you going to be getting in line for the new D4 to replace the D3s?

I apprieciate any feedback I can get!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #420

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
The D700 is an amazing camera - provided that it works together with very good lenses. So if you like the D700, I see no reason to wait for something new to come.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan P.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #421

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the information !! Just doesn't seem like there's a lot of vids or real environment shooting information out there on the D700 but that might just be my bad as I haven't searched as hard as I should be searching. I ran into complaints about not doing video but that doesn't bother me at this point.

I like to be a informed as possible when purchasing.

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #422

I must agree with Olaf.
The D700 is one hell of a camera. The AF system, the high ISO, Up to 8fps shooting 14bitt RAW, weather sealing etc. etc. Its awesome.

But!!!, indeed, use good lenses. All common Nikkor lenses with F2.8, F1.4 etc. Then you can't go wrong.

As for the D800, if rumours are true, I wouldn't want one. 30+mp sounds like fun, but when you can get only 3 or 4 fps, if high ISO ( for witch the D700 is famous ) is not up to par....
Unless you really need high mega-pixels or HD video stay with the D7000, wait for the D800 or buy a D3s/D4.

For the rest, the D700 is by far the most professional camera in that price range, with all the benefits.
You could however wait some time, when the D800 comes perhaps many people will sell there 2000 click used D700's for peanuts to get the new D800, who knows.
I'd pick up 1 or 2 immediately as 2nd body or backup :)

Have fun :)
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #423

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
Sounds like the D700 will will allow me to grow my photography better.

I am using some good glass and fits that f stop range of 2.8 or better.

I can see that happening when the D800 comes out having people drop the D700 and getting into the D800. Just because it has a higher MP count doesn't mean better image quality.

I would buy a D3s in a heart beat but not for video but for the superb image quality and low noise ISO range. But I think for my level it's not for me as of yet.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Nathan P.. Reason: Mis-posted before I was done

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #425

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
Nathan, I´m one of those inveterate guys who don´t trust the advertising saying that only high standard cameras or lenses can produce good pictures. In other words: My D700 didn´t help me to make better pictures compared to the pictures, I used to make with my D200 or FE2. I had to help myself, asking friends for critique and studying foto-illustrated books of famous photographers - and listening to Greg, of course :)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #428

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry didn't mean to say it would make my photography better by buying the camera but that it would help me grow as a photographer in the situations I find myself in. The camera is a tool and in any situation you want to make sure you have the tool that will help you get the job done. My D7000 gets what I want just seem limited in what I can shoot and the problems it has been giving me more and more lately. I used to shoot with my Nikon FM3a and didn't ever find myself limited or that I needed a new camera to do better pictures.

I hope that I wasn't coming off too pompous in the sounding like a newer more expensive camera will make better pictures. I was merely meaning that I want to find something that I can take my photography further in what I shoot and that I can grow with.

Still not sure if I'm coming off the right way.

Thank you both of you for all your comments it means a lot!!

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #430

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
Nathan, I think, I got you right. You question is absolutely entitled. As I said: if you like the D700, go for it. It´s a great camera and - very important for me as an amateur - it makes a ton of fun to shoot with "Desie" (as I call my D700 affectionately).

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #431

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you!! That might be another good fun thread. What name do you have for your camera or what's do you affectionately call your camera?

I think I will go test the D700 again and go from there!!

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #432

• Kyle Mazur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I love my d700. as long as video isn't an issue you really can't go wrong
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan P.

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #448

Since the D7000 is out I've heard very mixed things about it, some good some bad.
I think with the D7000 you can do paid work and grow as a photographer without any doubt. I do however believe that with the D700 you got a tool in hand is built to last you years and lets you take the best out of your expensive Nikkor glass.

The thing might be if you would really want to go fullframe, because both FF and Crop have it's pro and cons.
The main reasons I switched from a Sony A-300 to the D700 was that it could really take me that extra mile. The much and much better high ISO, superb 51pount AF system that does work in dark places, AF tracking, from 5 to 8fps and living in Holland were it seems to rain 11 days out of 10m the weather sealing.
Take that with the much wider and better optics and i was sold.

If you think that you run into issues with the D7000 that are holding you back in taking pics in a certain way ( say the AF system, say ISO, whatever... ) and you think the D700 might solve those problems and lets you grow in those areas, buy the damn thing ;)

If you however look hard at the D7000 and your own knowledge of photography, understanding the D7000 blind. Can you do that? Might it be like you here many times "I'm to good for this body, I want something better/expensive to take better pictures... " Not trying to offend, but you catch my drift. But even then I would say, GET THE D700 ;)

Just think it through, what do you want, what do you really need and can you justify to yourself that buying another camera will get you the results you are craving for.

Good luck mate ;)
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl

Re: Nikon D700 or D? 4 years 11 months ago #449

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the comment Remco.

I'm defiantly not offended by your comments. I think you have a valid point for some people. While being proud and self promoting of your work is important...some (not all) take it to the extreme and it goes to there head. Defiantly not the case with me at all.

If the D7000 was having AF issues on so many photos, I wouldn't be looking as soon as I am now. It's a great camera and definitely could do paid work, thou I think any of the Nikon line up can. It's all the person behind the camera make the most if it.

I know this isn't the right thread but recently the D7000 has been freezing after card changes. The next thought is that I'm not turning the camera off first before removing it and replacing it, not the case. It's only happened twice so far but something to toss out.

Oh and I live in Oregon in the USA. It rains here like no ones businesses. I would imagine the same as holland as out climates are similar for growing conditions. So having a good weather sealed body is important.

Thanks again for the comments and dont worry no offense takin ;-) I asked for the thought and feedback from everyone. Greg's got a good place going here and so I felt comfortable asking everyone here not like else where.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Remco van de Sanden