Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses?

Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 8 months ago #1280

Question is: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses?

what i mean, is, i´m investing in new lenses for my D7000, and i wanted to build the "holly trinity", but i´m thinking of buying fx lenses because some day, one or two years, i´ll move to an FX body. So i have on my list the correct lenses for actual body (D7000) wich are the tokina 11-16 2.8 and nikon 17-55 2.8. but as mentioned, the wish list would be a nikon 28-70 2.8 or 16-35 f4.
I already have a nikon 80-200 2.8, nikon 35 1.8, nikon 18-105 kit.
what do you guys think, is best way?
pd: i don´t live in USA, so it is not so easy to buy and sell photography equipment.
thanks
Fernando
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 8 months ago #1281

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you have the money for it, I'd highly recommend getting the pro glass. FX lenses are so much sharper than anything you currently have. You really have to use them to understand. Focus speed, accuracy, consistency, and sharpness are all top-notch on FX glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fernando Dipp
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 8 months ago #1284

Hey Fernando,

I agree with Scott. If you have the funds, do it. I actually have been thinking about a similar situation and after saving up for months, I will be investing in a brand new lens setup next week. I also have a D7000 and have been thinking for upgrade combinations. - What I decided on was to add a Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 24-70 and Nikon 70-200mm. I've sold my 18-200mm lens and trying to purchase FX over DX whenever I can. (the tokina won't be FX but I feel like its the best wide angle for what I'm looking for). i don't think you can go wrong with FX glass, If you are even considering it, I would say go for it. You are probably very passionate about photography and will probably be going to FX body at some point.

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 8 months ago #1285

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
A good friend of mine has a D7k and we tried my 70-200 VRii on it. Well, needless to say, he HATES his Sigma 70-200 now. I almost feel bad for even putting it on his camera..... hehe... "almost".

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 8 months ago #1291

thank you Luis. 12-24 DX + 24-70 FX + 70-200 FX it is a good combination of good glass..

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 7 months ago #1293

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I will agree and say buy as many FX lenses as possible. If you use FX lenses on a DX you are only using the center portion of the lens which is a plus. If you have a DX body and plan on moving to full frame then all you should buy is FX, no point in buying all DX and then move to FX without proper lenses.

My 'hypothesis' is that one day, maybe 5-10 years DX will be phasing out because FX sensors will be cheaper to make, and if you want DX you can use the crop modes but, its only a theory right now.

Andy

Re: Should i buy DX Lenses or FX lenses? 4 years 7 months ago #1333

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
Go FX if you can afford it...the only thing you will lose is the wideangle which you can solve with a 14-24 2.8 or 17-55 2.8.