Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wildlife lens

Wildlife lens 4 years 5 months ago #1527

Hi all, i am from the UK and new to this forum and to photography, for the past year it has really taken over my life for the better, it has taken me to some beautiful places, i am really interested in wildlife and love taking beautiful photos of animals, I would really like advice/help on my next purchase, i have currently got a nikon D90 with kit lens 18-105, i have made and saved enough money to purchase a wildlife lens what do people reccommend/ use, i have enough for a good second hand nikon 70-200 VR1 or should i carry on saving and get the newer 70-200 VR2, i am also looking to upgrade my body in 6-12 months. any help/advice appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wildlife lens 4 years 5 months ago #1537

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi there,

First of all, shouldn't this topic be here instead?

cazillo.com/c/forum/22-nikon-lenses.html

Mr. Cazillo? :P

Secondly, welcome to the forum. That is a tough decision you have to make there. We all know that the 70-200 VRII is the ultimate choice here. How much extra is the VRII over the VRI version? If it is not that much more and you could save it in a couple of months, that is exactly what I'd do. But if it is a considerable amount more expensive (ie: unjustifiable for the extra quality) and you need the lens soon and feel you would still be happy with the VRI, the VRI is still an excellent lens.

Also, how big are you going to be printing? If you are not printing huge and you won't be selling your work or publishing it, the VRI will likely more than suffice if the VRII is too expensive. Personally though, I'd save the extra for for the 70-200, if you are in a position to do so.

- Conor.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Wildlife lens 4 years 5 months ago #1538

Hi, a good quality second hand 70-200 VR1 are going for around £1000 and a new 70-200 VR2 sell for £1599. I think it's a no brainer to save for the VR2 and have the 1year warranty as it is a risk to by second hand unknowing the history, as to whether the lens has been dropped, taken apart before etc. does anybody know how this lens performs on the D90 focus speed etc as I will mostly be shooting wildlife and Motorsport.

Re: Wildlife lens 4 years 5 months ago #1539

Not sure what you will be shooting but the 70-200 is a good place to start. Then you can add one of the Nikon TC's to add its range before stepping up to a 300 2.8 or longer. Be wary you might outgrow the 70-200 quickly although its a must have.

Re: Wildlife lens 4 years 5 months ago #1540

VR1 or VR2 on D90 with camera body upgrade in about 12 months