Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 50mm or 35mm?

50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1849

• Freddy Gdinsky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last topic i had was asking about the next lens i should get. I got the answer of a 35mm 1.8 lens. I was looking around after and saw a 50mm 1.8. Which would be better to get. Since i just started a few days ago im still experimenting and so far found out my favorite thing is natural things and pretty much anything but people. I cant seem to get a good picture of a person. Thanks for any help!
youtube.com/gdinsky
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1851

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
The choice between a 50mm or a 35mm are two things.

You are using a crop factor camera. That means your vocal length is increased by 1.6 times. So a 35mm is around 52mm on your camera. And a 50mm is around 70mm on your camera.

With that said, if you want something that is in front of your camera. You have to take more steps back with the 50mm then with a 35mm. (So with the 70mm then the 52mm ;))

And, the 35mm is better build and a better quality lens. Because the plastic fantastic 50mm has some vignetting etcetera, which is obvious because of the prices.

Hope i answered your question a little bit.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1853

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Roy explained this pretty well.

I guess the choice for you is whether you want a short range telephoto lens in the 50mm or a standard lens in the 35mm.

You say that you like taking photos of most subjects except people. Therefore, I'd go for the 35mm f/1.8. The 50mm would be more suited to portraits (although not ideal) than the 35mm which is simply a great general standard prime lens, which can be used for a range of subjects.

If I were you though, I'd actually wait a few months and see what you really like photographing instead of buying a second lens immediately. The 35mm is a very good lens and you will likely add it to your bag sometime in the future. However, if you buy it now and realise you really like wildlife or landscape or macro photography, you could be stuck with lack of funds for the suitable lens. I'd wait a little while and let your photography grow and develop with the kit lens and go from there. And hey, if you stay here on Cazillo, you'll learn loads very soon. Remember, it is not the best kit which creates the best photos. Good luck with what ever you choose. :)
And, the 35mm is better build and a better quality lens. Because the plastic fantastic 50mm has some vignetting etcetera, which is obvious because of the prices.

I think you are confusing Nikon and Canon Roy. It is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 which is "plastic fantastic". The Nikon 50mm is built very similarly to the 35mm. Also, they are priced very similarly indeed with like a €10 difference. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1861

• Freddy Gdinsky
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the help [again} guys. And yea ill definatley be staying here for the rest of my photography hobby. FroKnowsPhoto forums are terrible. I can never get my topics even posted which never helps.
youtube.com/gdinsky

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1862

• Roy van Ommen
Freddy Grudinsky wrote:
Thanks for all the help [again} guys. And yea ill definatley be staying here for the rest of my photography hobby. FroKnowsPhoto forums are terrible. I can never get my topics even posted which never helps.

Hmm.. thats recognizable, i don't want to go too deep on this. But Greg and Jared do have an history. And things ended suddenly..

Anyhow,
Conor Casy wrote:
I think you are confusing Nikon and Canon Roy. It is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 which is "plastic fantastic". The Nikon 50mm is built very similarly to the 35mm. Also, they are priced very similarly indeed with like a €10 difference.

I really, really did not know this :) I thought the Canon and Nikon where the same build.

Sorry for giving you the wrong information about that. I would still go for the 35mm because i have the 50mm in my bag and sometimes on my crop factor camera, but i have to walk back too much sometimes in my opinion.

So still, the 35mm prime would be a great extension in your camera bag. But first master your current equipment. If you are going to miss something, you can always get something else... :) And we will help you on that.

Take pictures, create images. And post them on Flickr or so, and share them with us. We can help you with tips and critiques. :)

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Roy van Ommen.

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1865

• Freddy Gdinsky
  • Junior Boarder
Yea. I was on Jared's forums and was wondering what happened to Greg because he always helped more than Jared's videos so i put a topic up asking and it got denied but a mod told me what Greg's Youtube channel and website name was. Also, i think im going to stay working with the kit lens for a couple months and go to the 35mm, like you mentioned, and then get a bigger lens.
youtube.com/gdinsky

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1866

• Freddy Gdinsky
  • Junior Boarder
Also which lens would "blow" out the Background out more? Im thinking the 35mm but im not too sure...
youtube.com/gdinsky

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1871

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Conor Casy wrote:
I think you are confusing Nikon and Canon Roy. It is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 which is "plastic fantastic". The Nikon 50mm is built very similarly to the 35mm. Also, they are priced very similarly indeed with like a €10 difference.

I really, really did not know this :) I thought the Canon and Nikon where the same build.

Yes, it's interesting Roy. The Nikon is better built, but is also more expensive than the Canon. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 has a distance scale window too, which the Canon does not. :)

Good news to hear you are staying with the kit lens for now, Freddy. :cheer:

Yes, I watched Jared's channel back when Greg was on it but when Greg left, I stopped watching it. I did not approve of how Jared treated Greg when there was a "falling out". Plus, when Greg left, the channel really went down from there. Nowadays, it seems to be very light on content and not really up to much compared to here. Greg has tons more content in his 100 or so videos than Jared has in his 1,000.

A lens with a large aperture (small f number) will help to give a pleasing out of focus background. A large aperture means the opening in the lens is very wide in order to let in more light. So, the 35mm f/1.8 set to f/1.8 will achieve this no problem. Similarly, the 50mm at f/1.8 will do the same. Generally, the more you are zoomed in, the easier it is for you to achieve a more out of focus background. You will be able to do this with the kit lens, likely by zooming into 55mm and setting f/5.6 on your lens. The out of focus background will however be greater on the 35mm as it can go to f/1.8 while the kit lens can only go to f/3.5 at 18mm and f/5.6 at 55mm. This wide aperture is a big advantage of prime lenses as it allows them to blur the background, and also makes them excellent in low light as the opening in the lens is larger, more light is let in.

For more on this, see Greg's video on exposure:

Hope this has helped somewhat. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: 50mm or 35mm? 4 years 4 months ago #1873

• Roy van Ommen
Could not tell it better than Conor Casey :)

Well, i searched Greg's site. And here is some text about it. With a movie.

cazillo.com/articles/37-photography/92-end-of-the-line.html

Even though. I am still following Jared. A some kind of curiousy in what he is creating. But he has become a sort of billboard for adverisement of his t-shirt, blackrapids, drobo's, and Allens Camera...

Which... well... bores me a bit at this moment....

50mm or 35mm? 4 years 3 months ago #1934

Freddy Grudinsky wrote:
Also which lens would "blow" out the Background out more? Im thinking the 35mm but im not too sure...

I am working on a depth of field tutorial, FYI.