Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

FX lens in DX boady

More
5 years 6 months ago #5765 by Gregory Cazillo
Gregory Cazillo replied the topic: Re: FX lens in DX boady

Roy van Ommen wrote: Hi there,

The sensor of a DX body, is smaller then the sensor of a FX body. For the fact i know, a DX body is a multiplier of 1.6x vocal length.

So yes, if you have a 50mm lens on your DX body, that will have the vocal length of 50x1.6= 80mm.

You will not have a "cropping" effect, your focal length is bigger, so you have to do a couple of steps back in comparison to a FX body. Which uses the full sensor, so you have a vocal length of 50mm.

Hope i answered your question. Sorry about my English :)

Greetings,
Roy

Sorry Roy this statement is incorrect. DX bodies CROP THE LENS'S image circle, not make the lens longer in focal length.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #5766 by Gregory Cazillo

Andrew Olson wrote: It not really a cropping effect per se. If you put a 50mm lens on a DX body it is still a 50mm lens but, because the sensor is smaller you are only getting the center portion of the lens/image, or the equivalent field of view as using a longer lens on a FX camera.

Andy

It is truly a crop, watch this video. If you can get an FX body and shoot it next to your DX body try it yourself!

More
5 years 6 months ago #5767 by Gregory Cazillo

Conor Casey wrote: Eh, it's 1.6 times the focal length on a Canon but 1.5 times on a Nikon Roy. :)

So, a 50mm will actually become a 75mm on a Nikon DX and 80mm on a Canon.

But yeah, Roy pretty much perfectly answered your question though. ;)

I attempted to bust this myth with the video I just posted but I see its still going strong...maybe its time for another lesson!

the 1.3/1/6 on Canon cameras and 1.5 is used to describe the size difference in CROP FACTOR, not focal length...two completely different things.

More
5 years 6 months ago #5768 by Jose Cruz
Jose Cruz replied the topic: FX lens in DX boady
Thanks Brent,Im still learning the features on the d610.Thanks Greg for the "crop factor myth" video.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #5769 by Brent Ross
Brent Ross replied the topic: FX lens in DX boady
I think the myth would be broken if FOV was quoted rather than focal length when comparing sensor sizes.

People need to play more PC FPS shooters lol, when I want to see more in the frame, I change the FOV, not the focal length of the virtual camera.

www.bhphotovideo.com/images/Angles-02z.jpg

this is a cool chart for comparing 'angle of view' or AOV
It shows what lens you have to use to achieve the same AOV across multiple systems, but like greg said, this doesnt change the characteristics of the lens, a 12mm will always behave like a 12mm, but will have different FOV and AOV on different systems.

A good example of this in practice is the final season of house
philipbloom.net/2010/04/10/house-season-...y-with-canon-5dmkii/
Cinema cameras are super 35 which is close to APS-C (Red and Arri for example)
They shot in a really tight space, so to increase their FOV and use longer lenses to blur the background in such tight quarters they opted for the a full frame canon mkII
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Brent Ross.

More
5 years 5 months ago #5770 by Paul Sykes
Paul Sykes replied the topic: Re: FX lens in DX boady
just had a browse through your images on the first link, really enjoyed them , you have taken some beautiful shots to be proud of .. Well done buddie ...

Im not saying im the best but im in the top 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Ross

More
5 years 5 months ago #5772 by Brent Ross
Brent Ross replied the topic: Re: FX lens in DX boady
oh wow thanks mang