Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3420

Hello Greg,

Firstly, thanks for the great work you do and support you provide to the photographic community!

Can you possibly provide a review or side by side comparison of the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 vr, vr1 and vr2? I'm interested in purchasing one these lenses and would like to research the differences between the 3 versions.

Thanks very much.
Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3422

• finntroll
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That would absolutely be an interesting review. I personally have the vr which is said to have more vignetting, but is the newer version even sharper?

_IMG4680_edited by f i n n t r o l l, on Flickr

this photo was taken with my 70-200 and i think it is very sharp (much sharper than my kit lens) defenitely worth upgrading

greets
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3433

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Wow, this question again. This must be the most popular question on here; we've had it so many times. :P

Welcome Mark.

The VR II is the perfect, ultimate, money no object option. It is more expensive than the VR I though and this is something to consider. You have to ask whether the upgrade in the VR system, overall sharpness etc is worth spending the extra. If it was me and I saw a VR I for a good price, I would snap it up over the VR II. If they were in and around the same price however, I'd probably rather spend the extra and get the VR II. For me, it depends on how much more expensive the VR II is than the VR I.

And there are only two f/2.8 Nikon lenses in the 70-200mm range - the VR I (or just VR) and VR II. The other is the 70-200mm f/4.

Now that I think of it and to give you a real example, my camera shop had a second hand 70-200mm VR I in their window for around the same price as a new f/4 version. In which case, i would have purchased the second hand f/2.8 VR I.
Conor Casey
Flickr

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3434

• Conor Casey
Also, perhaps a quote from Greg from this topic will help you make your mind up:
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
The VR2 has upgraded coatings, glass, faster AF,better vignette control and a better VR system. There is a reason to get the new one. That said I am still quite happy with my VR1.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Roszczka

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3438

Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated. Regardless of which one I end up getting it will be an upgrade from my current 80-200 f2.8 push pull type that I have had for the last 15 years and absolutley love. Great lens that has produced excellent results. I will however look forward to having faster AF, a tripod collar, newer coatings and of course the VR.

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3443

@Conor thanks for quoting me ;)...I was gonna say it again but didn't have to!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Roszczka

70-200 2.8 vr, vr1, vr2 comparison 3 years 9 months ago #3454

• Conor Casey
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
@Conor thanks for quoting me ;)...I was gonna say it again but didn't have to!
No problem. :side:

It was a pain to find the exact topic though but I knew it existed somewhere; it was over six months old. :lol:
Conor Casey
Flickr