Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suggestions for highest quality DX lens?

Suggestions for highest quality DX lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3551

Greg and many other top photographers suggest investing in the best glass possible. Currently I am shooting with the Nikon 18 - 55 VR 3.5 - 5.6 lens that came in the kit with my D90. This is a very inexpensive lens, and I would like opinions regarding whether or not I should upgrade this lens. And if so, what DX lens would be good canditates?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suggestions for highest quality DX lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3552

Two questions:

Do you plan on staying with DX Bodies?

What sort of shooting do you mostly do?

The ideal all around DX lens is the Nikon 18-200. I consider it the perfect travel lens. I would only consider this lens if I was only going to purchase one lens.

If you plan to get more than one lens I would recommend the Nikon 16-85 DX. This would function as your primary lens and depending if you do landscapes you add the Nikon 10-24 DX or if you plan on doing portraits the Nikon 70-300 Telephoto to form a complete package.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by locomotive282.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Suggestions for highest quality DX lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3555

locomotive282 wrote:
Two questions:
The ideal all around DX lens is the Nikon 18-200. I consider it the perfect travel lens. I would only consider this lens if I was only going to purchase one lens.

If you plan to get more than one lens I would recommend the Nikon 16-85 DX. This would function as your primary lens and depending if you do landscapes you add the Nikon 10-24 DX or if you plan on doing portraits the Nikon 70-300 Telephoto to form a complete package.

There is no such thing as an 'ideal' lens for any camera. What lenses are purchased depends on the type of photos you want to create. A lens with a long zoom is the lowest quality. My top 2 lenses for DX users to purchase are a 17-55 2.8 Nikkor and a 70-200 2.8 Nikkor, either the VR1 or the VR2 version.

Suggestions for highest quality DX lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3558

Thanks for the input. I find lots of information on FX lens, but was having a hard time finding good advice on DX lens. Now onto the bigger question - D7100 vs D600!

Suggestions for highest quality DX lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3608

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I would love if Nikon could release an 18-70mm or thereabouts with a constant f/4 aperture. It would be a great kit lens with cameras like the D7100. My 18-105mm is good but it is such a pity that it is variable aperture. There is the 16-85mm but this is an overpriced kit lens in my opinion because it is a variable aperture lens. Better build and a focus distance window is all you really get over the 18-105mm and you lose some reach.

The 17-55mm is perfect but costs around $1,000 which is often too expensive as it is DX only as far as I am aware.

But still, there is no constant F/4 lens. There is the 24-120mm F/4 for full frame but this is the same price as the 17-55mm and 24mm is not wide enough on DX.

Such a pity, if Nikon released a 16-85mm f/4, I'd be the first one to buy it!

There, rant over! :P
Conor Casey
Flickr