Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What older lenses on DX bodies??

What older lenses on DX bodies?? 3 years 6 months ago #4265

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So Im looking to purchase some lenses for my d3200 (DX body) but I cant afford anything new. So my question is, what OLDER Nikon lenses will work on a DX body? Ive looked online and cant make sense of all the terms. If Im searching ebay, what should I be looking for?

I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens and a Sigma 55-200mm f4-f5.6. Im looking to get something in f2.8 range (or better). Any recommendations?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What older lenses on DX bodies?? 3 years 6 months ago #4266

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Technically, almost all F-mount lenses will work to one degree or another.

If it isn't an AF-S lens, though, it will not autofocus on a D3000 or D5000 series camera, as those cameras don't have a built in AF motor so the lens itself must have the motor. If it's not an AF-S lens, you will need to focus manually with a D3200.

You might also run into some problems with the camera being able to read the metering (i.e., if a shot will be exposed properly or not) with older lenses depending on the age.

This is actually something I've been meaning to try to do myself, so I'll be anxious to see what knowledgeable responses you get!

Take care!
Tim
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What older lenses on DX bodies?? 3 years 6 months ago #4274

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
It all depends on what you wish to photograph to be honest Gabe. Could you give us a better idea of what you want to photograph?

Tim answered part of your question very well. Because you have a D3200, if the lens doesn't have a focus motor, you will be left manually focusing the lens. This may not be a huge problem, depending on what you are going to be photographing.

At a first glance, I think you might want to get a wdie-angle lens. Because you already have a range from 18-200mm, a wide-angle would perhaps be the most useful although you may have no interest in wide angle photography and therefore want to get some good primes. It all depends on what you want to shoot and we can't really go any further than speculation until you give us more detail about what you want to shoot. :)

Thanks.
Conor Casey
Flickr

What older lenses on DX bodies?? 3 years 6 months ago #4282

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi,

Well, i would suggest that you work to the best lenses...

14-24 mm 2.8
24-70 mm 2.8
70-200 mm 2.8
300 mm 2.8

But that is because we do not have any information on what you want to use your camera for.

So :)

Greetings,
Roy

What older lenses on DX bodies?? 3 years 6 months ago #4289

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the replies guys. A majority of my photos are night shots of cityscapes. I also take a lot of pictures of my daughter. But nothing too specific. I guess Im looking for a good "all purpose" lens with a good aperture. Right now Im leaning towards primes and telephoto.

The main question is (Tim hit on it in his reply) what older lenses will work on a DX body. If I'm searching sites for older lenses, what should I be looking for? Im ok with manual focus as most of my shots are of landscapes/cityscapes. What about metering?