Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4630

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've owned the Nikon D600 only for a few days and absolutely love it. I have learned so much from Greg's videos and am so appreciative of them. I hope he knows how much of a positive impact he has on people.

Just after a few days shooting with the 24-85mm kit lens, I found myself limited as far as bokeh and possibly getting that tact focus sharpness I'm looking for. I really can't afford having multiple lenses or massively expensive lenses at least for a year or two, so I'm looking to see what I can get as a best, affordable, well rounded, but absolutely brilliant bokeh possibilities too. I know that may be a large order to fill, but maybe I can achieve all this with one of these affordable lenses? They are both equally priced for $500.

So which would be the overall great lens to get? I need something that will be flexible to work with taking pictures of great portraits, cars, street photos, and landscape. I know that is a large order, or hopefully I can utilize this lens in conjunction with my kit lens? Maybe utilize the kit lens for more of the landscape photos since bokeh doesn't matter in landscape much? I will be shooting everything because I love cars, we are going to use it aggressively for family and portrait work, but then I love HDR and random shooting so I hope to utilize it in landscape, building, and street photographs as well.

I found that in order to get the shallow depth of field with some slight bokeh with the kit lens I need to basically not use the zoom much (or just slightly) to not raise the f stop, which leaves me going really more up close to people than I want to be. However, I want to be able to take tact sharp photos of cars, street, etc as well.

Here are a few photographs I took over the weekend to give you an idea the kind of pictures I've been taking:
www.flickr.com/photos/19193700@N06/

Thank you all and thank you Greg!
Jonas
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Jonas. Reason: sentence correction
The administrator has disabled public write access.

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4632

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I posted a similar question not too long ago. Thanks to those that answered. The 85 is great for portraits. Its the nicest lens Ive used so far. I do more landscape/cityscape shots during my spare time so I opted for the 50 1.8g. I like it however, I dont feel its as sharp as the 85. My personal opinion, go for the 85. If you really want a 50mm, go for the 1.8g. It will save you $200. Or even better, since you have a full frame, go for the 50 1.8D. They run around $150 used. So you can compare, below are some shots I took with both lenses.

85mm 1.8g

Cinematic Edit by moreno1024, on Flickr

50mm 1.8g

5 minute portrait by moreno1024, on Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4634

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
If you're only going to be shooting portraits, I would go with the 85mm F/1.8. If however, you see yourself shooting a wide variety of subjects - cars, street photos, and landscape as you say - the 50mm will be your best bet.

Both are excellent lenses; the 85mm particularly so. The problem with the 85mm however is that it is more geared for serious portrait shooting, where the 50mm is more of an all rounder.

The 85mm is a great lens and I'm sure if you opt for it, you will like it a lot but I think that for the subjects (excluding portraits) you name, the 50mm will be better. The 85mm is more of a medium telephoto which I think you'll find restrictive if you want to shoot on the streets or take photos of cars. The 50mm, with its standard view, would be better.

So, it comes down to what you will shoot more of. For portraits alone, the 85mm and for everything else, the 50mm.

One option that Gabe alluded to would be to save some money, get the 50mm F/1.8 D (or G) for a much better price than the 50mm F/1.4. With the money saved, you could put it towards the 85mm?
Conor Casey
Flickr

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4635

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you both....your responses have been very helpful. Gabe, your pictures are terrific and very helpful as well. I love how you can see the strand of hair in the 85 shot with such clarity!

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4636

• Conor Casey
Glad to help. Have you made a decision then Jonas?

One thing that I forgot to say earlier is that it might help to get down to a camera store and try both lenses out in person. Also, buying second-hand, if you're careful, can also be a good way of saving money, particularly with lenses.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Conor Casey.

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4637

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
I think I'm going to buy the 85....

Here are the main reasons after reading all the responses:

It's the second best rated lens for sharpness and among other considerations.

Behind the number one which is also an 85 but costs almost 4 times more at $2000, every person on the forum who has both and even the ones that recommended the 50 over the 85 that did discuss quality said that without a doubt the 85 you will get better sharper images.

The 50 ranks at number 50 which is still good but I figure why not have the best for the same price and then just back up to take the shot?

We can always get a 50 or 35 or whatever later on but I think most of the pictures where we care about quality overall are where it's just our baby or of my wife and our baby and things like that versus the baby and 70% landscape. However, even those we could take, we just move back a bit.

It has also been very obvious to me that recently the pictures that we have been taking we're just too close to the person which detracts the person and u get a worse shot even zoomed in at 50 with the kit lens. The 85 would eliminate this problem so I think overall you would get not only a better image quality, but also a better photograph of your family or more depending on how far back you go.

If I had the 85 and the 50 in the bag, I think most photographers end up picking up the 50 or the 85 based on the mm they need, however, I'm pretty sure I would end up basing it more on 85 first because the quality will be better but only if I can't do it in an 85 would I then do it in a 50. Why take a worse quality shot in my opinion when you don't have to and just need to move back a bit if needed?

Also, for the future, it would give us an opportunity to let us get another prime lens that is not as close to the 50. If we had a 50 do we go 85 or do we go 21 or 35 would be the next question? Instead, the question just becomes do we go 21, 35, or 50 and that may be an easier one to handle after having an 85.

If something is not right in my rational or I'm missing something important to consider, please let me know! :)))) You guys are awesome by the way!!

By the way, yesterday I took a picture pushing myself only to use an 85 and see if I can take some car photos, which I did and here it is at 85mm at f/5.6.

www.flickr.com/photos/19193700@N06/9356478310/

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4639

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Good to hear. You wont be disappointed, thats for sure. As you mentioned, you can always pick up the wider prime lenses at a later time. The 35mm 1.8g is also another option and might be better suited for landscape photos. They run around 160 used. Enjoy the lens. Cant wait to see the results.

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4640

• Conor Casey
Gabe wrote:
The 35mm 1.8g is also another option and might be better suited for landscape photos.

I think the 35mm F/1.8 G is DX digital only Gabe. :unsure:

Sounds like a good choice then. Enjoy the lens Jonas and I look forward to seeing some shots soon. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4642

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Conor Casey wrote:
I think the 35mm F/1.8 G is DX digital only Gabe.

HA! Sorry Im a DX user.

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4645

• Conor Casey
Gabe wrote:
Conor Casey wrote:
I think the 35mm F/1.8 G is DX digital only Gabe.

HA! Sorry Im a DX user.
Me too...for the time being. :P

Do you have the lens? It's supposed to be one of the best for DX cameras.
Conor Casey
Flickr

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4648

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
Gabe wrote:

85mm 1.8g

Cinematic Edit by moreno1024, on Flickr

Gabe, what processing did you use on this image? I noticed that it's not the original picture out of the camera. Did you use Lightroom? And what presets, edits did you do to get such a great photograph!?

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G? 3 years 4 months ago #4651

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks. It was processed using Lightroom 4. I typically adjust the "black" and "white" until they start to clip on the histogram. Everything else is adjusted to taste. Oh! and heavy on the contrast (30 or more). I did split tone this one using blues for shadows to cool it down some and yellow for the highlights. A little bit of post crop vignette.

Check out the video below. The guy is kind of boring to listen too but you get some pretty good techniques.

my.adobeconnect.com/_a295153/p3w1g2dzca7...t=true&pbMode=normal
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Gabe.
  • Page: