Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?

More
6 years 1 month ago #4654 by Jonas
Jonas replied the topic: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?

Gabe wrote: Thanks. It was processed using Lightroom 4. I typically adjust the "black" and "white" until they start to clip on the histogram. Everything else is adjusted to taste. Oh! and heavy on the contrast (30 or more). I did split tone this one using blues for shadows to cool it down some and yellow for the highlights. A little bit of post crop vignette.

Check out the video below. The guy is kind of boring to listen too but you get some pretty good techniques.

my.adobeconnect.com/_a295153/p3w1g2dzca7...t=true&pbMode=normal

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #4655 by Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen replied the topic: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?
Nice tread guys!!

More
6 years 1 month ago #4656 by Jonas
Forgot to mention, I did buy the 85 1.8G this afternoon. Should arrive mid next week from B&H. I'll post as soon as I take some shots! :)

Thank you all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy van Ommen

More
6 years 1 month ago #4659 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?

Jonas wrote: Forgot to mention, I did buy the 85 1.8G this afternoon. Should arrive mid next week from B&H. I'll post as soon as I take some shots! :)

Thank you all.

Great, enjoy the lens. :)

Conor Casey
Flickr

More
6 years 1 month ago #4678 by Jonas
One of my first few shots:

Kitchen View by jdaunora , on Flickr

Really enjoying the 85 however I find myself underexposed in almost all shots needing to be about 1-2+ overexposed to get a normal exposure using matrix metering....very interesting considering with kit lens I never needed to touch the exposure...ever, including portraits. Any ideas?

More
6 years 1 month ago #4679 by Gabe
Gabe replied the topic: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?
I was primarily in aperture priority when I used it. I also used spot metering. Not sure if that made a difference. I dont think I had any exposure issues but Ill have to dig into my archives. Ill see if I can post more examples

More
6 years 1 month ago #4680 by Jonas

Gabe wrote: I was primarily in aperture priority when I used it. I also used spot metering. Not sure if that made a difference. I dont think I had any exposure issues but Ill have to dig into my archives. Ill see if I can post more examples

I shoot aperture priority too. spot metering will definitely make a difference because in most photos I shot today the subject was darker than the background and if I spot metered I'm sure it would had exposed brighter automatically. However, what is interesting to me is with the kit lens it seemed to do a better job of finding the correct exposure value using the default matrix metering selected. Just an interesting find and was curious if others noticed the same and as to why this is more of the case than a kit lens.

What do you guys think of the photo? Interesting also how the bokeh is like two ovals pieced together instead of a circle shape which I thought nikon was more known for.

I can't wait for christmas to be here now hehe.

More
6 years 1 week ago #4841 by Brent Ross
Brent Ross replied the topic: D600 - NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G OR NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G?
For street photography keep in mind the angle of view. You may like a 50 mm as it will capture more of the environment (very good for street photography). The 85 will magnify the background and isolate the subject a bit more. But if street photography is not as important and portraits are, then the 85 was a good choice.