Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Landscape Lenses?

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4771

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So here we are with another equipment question. Im taking a fishing trip next month and want to get some great shots of the scenery as well as my fishing buddies. The question is, Im not sure what lens to rent for the trip. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, 50-200mm Sigma, and a 50mm 2.8 nikon. We do a lot of hiking so I dont want to be carrying a ton of equipment. With that in mind, I was thinking of renting the 18-200 or the 18-300. Thoughts? Suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4777

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Gabe, will you be bringing your other lenses with you on this trip or are you looking for a one lens solution?

If you are going to be bringing the other lenses, I would go for the Sigma 10-20mm. I own the F/3.5 version of the lens and can personally recommend it for landscapes. I think this would be a good choice for you if you are bringing your other gear with you as you have most focal lengths covered with your gear, except for extreme wide-angle. Wide Angle suits landscapes.

If you are looking to rent one lens for the trip, I would take a look at the 18-200mm from Nikon.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Conor Casey.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4778

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Conor. Ill look into it. I was planning on taking one lens for the trip. My bag will be filled with fishing gear and I dont want to weigh it down too much. Im even debating on whether or not I should take my tripod for some panos.

Also, if you have any tips on keeping your gear clean while hiking, that would be great.

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4779

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I think Conor nailed it on that one. I've done tons of hiking with my gear and never had an issue with it getting dirty. I usually carry the gear in a backpack and just make sure I have my lenspens and blower to clean the lens off if needed. I would recommend taking a tripod, you'll want to be in a few shots. If you bring your tripod, you can get those nice long exposure shots of the water. ;)

have fun! and bring us some shots from the trip :D

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4783

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Bill. I didn't have too many issues last year so I don't think dirt will be too much of a problem. The trip is still a month away but I will definitely post when we get back.

I guess I'll have to load my pack and get a feel for the weight before I make a final decision on what gear I will take.

Landscape Lenses? 3 years 3 months ago #4785

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I usually bring bring everything I think I might want or need on my trips. Then I will decide what to bring depending on where I'm headed for the day. I'll leave the rest in the car or hotel room.