Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lenses

Lenses 2 years 10 months ago #5484

I recently purchased a Nikon 5200 with VR 18-55mm and VR 55-200 lenses.
I haven’t had any problem with the lenses and they have taken nice photos.
Currently I shoot my family and kid’s activities- both outside, in the gym and auditorium.
There have been times when I find I have to switch lenses.
Example at a concert: 55-200mm during the concert but then have to switch to 18-55mm for kids ‘friend’ photos after(since in lobby).
Football Game – 55-200mm for actual football/marching band, but then have to switch to the 18-55 for photos of my daughter with marching band in the stands before halftime show.

The local camera store encouraged me to buy the Tamron 18-270mm lens to both gain the extra 70mm and the convenience of not having to change lenses between the 2(only carrying 1 lens). Plus they said the Nikkor kit lenses are junkie plastic lenses.
I did buy it but when comparing the 55-200mm to the Tamron lens at home there is NO difference in the focal length.
I am trying to figure out if I should keep this lens for the convenience of 1 lens or put the money towards a 70-200(or 300) f2.8 lens.
I will be helping my neighbor shoot photos for her daughter’s wedding this April, so want to make sure I have whatever lenses will be best for that.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the Tamron lens above? In your opinion is it a good lens to have in my arsenal, and would it be one I would want to use at the wedding.

I am the only one that will be taking the wedding party photos, and I’m a little unsure on what lenses I will need to use for that. The bride is so laid back so doesn’t want to ‘hire’ a professional but I don’t want to miss any moments due to wrong lens.
And the camera store only has a couple day money return policy, so I have until Wednesday to take back. Ugh.

Thank you for any advice you can give
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lenses 2 years 10 months ago #5518

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Ultimately, you need to look at what you are going to be shooting on a regular basis. Look at your budget and find the best possible lens that fits your need. Personally, I would stay away from a variable aperture lens like the 18-270. I have a Sigma 50-200 f4-5.6. To be honest, I dont use it very often. Its slow to focus and the images arent very sharp. I, as much as you, hate carrying extra gear but in all reality, there really isn't an "all purpose" lens. My 50mm 1.8 is my go-to lens for most of my photos. Is it limited? Sure, but you learn to work within those limitations. If I need it, I always have my 18-55 kit lens.

For the purpose of shooting the wedding, save your self some money and rent a 24-70mm f2.8 lens, either from a local shop or borrowlenses.com. Your going to want something that gives you some range and produces a clean/sharp image. Again, think about what you are going to shoot. The actual ceremony? The reception? Both? Find the best lens to cover your needs. Rent 2 if you can. Understand though, when using a DX body, there will be a crop factor on your images.

Hope this helped some.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Lenses 2 years 10 months ago #5565

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I agree with gabe
there is no all in one lens, and usually the lenses that appear to be all in one make compromises

the closest thing with a large range and constant aperture lens is this guy
www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24-120mm.htm

For me I invested in the nikon holy trinity zooms but that seems overkill for you.

As for the Tamron, is the money you spent worth a lighter bag? or would you rather go for better lenses?
I'm with gabe, variable aperture sucks. For event shooting, an aperture of 5.6 or 6.3 is almost useless unless you have a D4 and bump your ISO to 128 000 :P