Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 85mm Nikkor - Differences

85mm Nikkor - Differences 4 years 10 months ago #812

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi folks!

I read a bunch of tests but that couldn´t take away my uncertainty. Actually I´m using the Nikkor 85mm 1.8 AF-D for portraits but the bokeh is a little harsh imho. So I´m looking for an 85mm 1.4. What are the differences between the AF-D and AF-S G concerning IQ? (Sharpnes? AF-Speed? Bokeh?) Who of you guys made a comparison and could tell me the result?
Thanks in advance!

Regards
Olaf
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 85mm Nikkor - Differences 4 years 10 months ago #814

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
here you go.
I have both the 85mm. but I havent use the 85 d version yet. my father gave his old system to me as a present but I did not used those lenses yet.

85mm 1.4g. I bought it for myself. these g series are nikons first updates on lenses after 20 or more years. they come with nano coatings etc all those new featues.
except the 50mm 1.4g. all 24-35-85mm 1.4g are better than the older versions. one downside they are so much bigges though with the af motors. at least 2-3 times wider and 2 times taller.

if you buy the 85d, you will have a lens for a life time. very good quality.

if you buy the 85g, you will have one of the best lenses out there by nikon until the af motor dies.

so direct comparison
sharpness: g is better
af speed: d is better
bokeh: as I said havent used the af-d seriously, but in general 85mm is a focal length that will give you a smooth bokeh and dont believe so much difference will be between the afs and afd. but tests online shows crop sections are better on the new af-g. but not so much better to see directly, just in a magnified crop.

hope it helps.
Bigger is Better
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olaf Kleemeyer
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: 85mm Nikkor - Differences 4 years 10 months ago #815

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I can only speculate about the 85's you mention as I have never used one myself. From what I have heard the new 85 1.4G is supposed to be one awesome lens, aside from the fact it might be a tad slower than the 1.4D, but being a modern design it might have a slight edge over the 1.4D. If it were me (and I had enough money) I would grab the 1.4G in a heartbeat, if you don't have the money for the 1.4G, the 1.4D should suffice.

I would also say look at the new 85 1.8G, which is also going to be a good lens.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olaf Kleemeyer

Re: 85mm Nikkor - Differences 4 years 10 months ago #822

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Thank you, gentlemen. Your statements brought me a little closer to a decision.
Maybe anybody else has experiences with thoses lenses?
Especially changed from the 85mm 1.8 d (I own) to one of the 1.4-lenses?
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8