Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Canon Rebel T3i

Canon Rebel T3i 4 years 4 months ago #1681

• Yazmin
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Greg, I know you are a loyal Nikon user. I recently purchased the Canon Rebel T3i. In one of your videos you stated Canon is about 4 years behind, but I don't remember if you stated the back in the day Canon in general. I have been watching several of your videos, and now I am having second though about switching cameras. I have always loved photography, but never was able to afford anything other than a point and shoot. What do you recomend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 4 years 4 months ago #1682

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Greg is a loyal Nikon shooter indeed.

I am a loyal Canon shooter and i love the Canon, i love the button lay out and i love the spinning wheel which is in it.

Nikon and Canon are not years by or years past. I mean, Canon introduces in the new 650D a full function touchscreen with swiping through your images which Nikon has not got, and Canon has better video options than Nikon.

In low light situations, the Nikons are better at higher ISO's, so for concert photography, the Nikon will be better. But if you are an avarage shooter, both camera manufactures are making very decent equipment!

Stick with your currect body. Try to get the max out of it, maybe you can rent a Nikon which you are looking for, and try that out and compare the images. Compare the bodies and the possibilities it gives you.

Good luck on your journey.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 4 years 4 months ago #1683

I didn't say that, I said 4 years ago Nikon jumped way ahead in the high ISO range with the D3. There are many factors which I go over in this video...

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 4 years 4 months ago #1684

• Yazmin
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Roy,
So I continued to watch reviews today and just found out that I don't even have the T3i, I have just the T3 :blink:. I didn't know there were two similar ones. That goes to show you how little I know. Regardless of my knowledge I know a good picture when I see one. The photographer I use for my kids portraits recomended a couple years ago that I should invest in a SLR and that way I wouldn't have to continue to go to the studio and leave disapointed when I couldn't afford all of the pics that were taken. Having that said I like to record home videos however I am more inclined on stills.

I would like to start with a "good" camera and be a step ahead when I do learn a bit more. It took me years and years to be able to afford this one. So I dont quite have the luxury of upgrading in a year or two or maybe even more. I honestly don't know when I'll have the money to afford another nice camera. The store I purchased my camera currently has a Nikon D5100 & D3100. Please give me your recomendations, thoughts and or advice what ever it may be. I really really appreciate your previous comment.

Yazee

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 4 years 4 months ago #1685

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there,

Thanks for the previous compliment. I appriciate that for sure!.

About your camera..

You know, i started with the Canon EOS 1000D, that was the previous model of the camera that you have. I worked with that for a year or so. Any DSLR are making better pictures than ANY point and shoot camera's.

Well, let's be very honest. The 1100D is just a basic beginner DSLR camera. They made it for the people who don't want to spend 2000$ on a single body, and then spend 5000$ into lenses.

But! it has the capibility of a DSLR. It takes images. I have seen tons of photos of which i thought, damn, that should be a big huge camera. And it was taken with a 1000D or an 1100D (T3).

Plus, it depends on what you are shooting. If you are only shooting family portraits of the kids, and your yard, maybe the car sometime. Maybe the neighbour asks if you could take a picture. Just stick to your T3 in that case. Don't buy expensive bodies. You will nail it with the T3. In that case, try to invest something in some nice glass for in front of your camera and you are perfectly fine.

If you are planning to do photoshoots, or stock photography, maybe sports photography.. and you are trying to get into the professional market, you and your T3 will last for a year or so and at that moment you will face the boundries of the T3. And that moment is the moment you will invenst in some new gear.

Wrapping the story up..

If you are planning to do professional work, you will face the limits of the T3, but for home use the T3 should be perfectly fine for a couple of years to make the images in house or at the zoo. Try to invest in some nice glass as glass is not going down in value ( $ ).

Maybe in a couple of years you go to your nearby camera store, and you see a nice Nikon, you can trade in your Canon gear and buy the Nikon.

And you said something about making video's. Well, every DSLR with a video mode makes stunning video's. You will get out a better quality than any Sony Handicam or something like that. They currently use (Canon :p) DSLR's on making commercial video's etc. So that won't be a problem with Canon or Nikon.

So my advice if i read a bit trough the lines of your story. Try to stick a while with your (nice) Canon. Try to invest in some gear, maybe a Canon EF50 F/1.8 II lens which is a fun lens to start with and to see the world through. Maybe you will get addicted to photography and you will upgrade. But first the glass. Than the body.

And when you decide to upgrade the body. A step to a T3i, or a Nikon D5100 will be disapointing because its not that big huge step. You will know the camera at that point so you can save some money up untill the Canon 7D, or a Nikon D300s, or maybe a D7000.

Well, i jumped in this story from tree to tree, hope it is clear for you and you can decide what you want :)

Greetings,
Roy

(by the way, the Canon EF 50mm is only $ 107,26 on Amazon on Greg his site. if you are willing to buy gear, check out amazon throughout the website of Greg and you support yourself and the community :))
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Roy van Ommen.