Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Magic Lantern Firmware

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #1890 by Roy van Ommen
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with Magic Lantern Firmware Canon? I found this and I thought this could be quite useful when filming.

I am wondering if i need this..

They say that it can work addition to the normal firmware. Only then should you put it on your SD card, and then still run a firmware upgrade, it would only be written to the RAM memory ..

Do i need to do this.. i mean, my film camera (60D) misses some things like on screen audio etc...

Link: magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Roy van Ommen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #1895 by Roy van Ommen
Hmm... been looking for a lot of stuff about this.

Some things i could find

- No harm to the original firmware. It will run from the SD card onto the RAM of the camera

- Thousands of installations, but no one has bricked their camera.

- Canon will not find it if you return it to canon because it was in RAM, removing the battery is removing the RAM information, so ML is gone

- On screen audio adjustments
- External headphone through the AV (with special cable)
- HDR Filming
- Autofocus while filming

And many more.. i think i am going to try this...

Greetings,
Roy

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
5 years 1 month ago #1896 by Bill
All I can say is it AWESOME!, AWESOME!, AWESOME! I run it on my 50D with no side effects or issues what so ever. It's very simple to install. You'll have even more features becouse your using a 60D.

How it works is it runs on top of the normal Canon Firmware, you don't install it on your camera. It enables a boot flag in the firmware then it runs off the card. You still have access to all of your original options it just adds extra features. Like a live view histogram, video scope, audio meters ect, ect, ect.

Insert disclaimer here.... as always you can break things when you install non canon software/firmware......

More
5 years 1 month ago #1897 by Bill
ha! just saw your other post. Make sure you are running the correct version of Firmware for the ML software. I actually had to downgrade from 1.09 to 1.08 for it to run on my camera.

More
5 years 1 month ago #1899 by Roy van Ommen
Hi Bill,

Thats a good one, i saw that they are releasing the 2.3 version on the 13th of august. And they added the Canon 60D 1.1.1 version which i have installed. I just upgraded from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 so i have to wait till the 13th :)

But thanks, i will definatly install it! I am convinced!

Greetings,
Roy

More
5 years 1 month ago #1900 by Bill
Take the time to RTFM, there's a lot of new features to figure out :). Pro user tip;): When your in the ML menu you can hit the info button(at least on the 50D) and it will give you a brief explanation of the feature you are looking at and how to set it.

More
5 years 1 month ago #1902 by Roy van Ommen
Hi Bill :)

Thanks for the tips. I think i will install it straight away monday.. Even though, i think i am going to record it to share it with you guys..

Anyway, looking forward to monday...

Greetings,
Roy

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #2113 by Bill
So have you tried it yet?