Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help Please

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4420

• Kwablo
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, I would like to say a big thank you for all your tips and videos that you have made available to us amateurs (and professionals too). I am in a small dilemma and would like some advice please. I currently have a Canon 60D with the 24-105 4L lens and I've been asked to shoot my sister's wedding. (Thanks for the list, I know it's going to be very useful) Do you think that my combination is good enough for the wedding or should I invest in some more equipment. I'm at the moment not charging family/friends/clients for my pictures but I'm going to put my foot down and start soon. I'm about to get the 430 EX II flash and would like to know if you would recommend I get some more lenses? Even though my current lens can serve as a 50mm lens, do you think I should buy a 50mm prime lens? If yes, which one (the 1.8 or 1.4)? Would you also recommend I get a 70-200? If yes, should I get the 2.8 or 4.0 with or without IS and should I stick to Canon or get a Tamron/Sigma lens instead?
Thank you very much for help and hope to hear from you soon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4421

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Depending on the reception, you may need to bring a flash. I like TTL in this situation, as there are some shots you can't try again if you get the settings wrong. I try to bounce the flash off close walls.

And remember you can rent a lot of equipment you don't have. I bury the cost of my rentals in my service contract, so I always have what I need for shoots like this. I don't personally own any L lenses, but it doesn't mean I don't have the tools I need when I need them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwablo
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4422

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
I'm going to chime in one more time. If I had everything I want for weddings lens wise it would be the 85mm 1.2L - 24-70 2.8L - 70-200 2.8L and possibly an off brand 14-24 since Canon doesn't yet make one.

However your 24-105 will be a really good lens to use for starter. I wish I had at least that when I started.

I do think everyone should have a 50mm prime, the 1.8 and 1.4 are pretty good and pretty much the same performance wise, however the 1.4 is 3x the cost, but it's really nicely built.

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4429

• Kwablo
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Erik for the prompt reply, very much appreciated. I have been quite busy hence my late reply.
I take it that you would suggest I go for a 50mm prime lens but couldn't tell which one you would recommend. I have read quite a number of reviews that praise the 1.8 version but say the build quality is so bad that the lens doesn't last long and they usually get stuck to the camera body. Do you think it's wise to opt for or invest in the 1.4 even though it's way more expensive?
Also, I have read/heard that the 4.0 70-200 is sharper than 2.8 version. If that is the case, would I be better off with the 4.0 version or you think the 2.8 one is better to invest in?
Once again, thanks for your help and I hope to hear from you or others soon.

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4431

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
They both take sharp photos, but I personally bought the 1.4 because of how it's built. The metal mount + the Ultra Sonic focus motor was worth the x3 cost of the 1.8.

When it comes to the 70-200 2.8 mkII is the best you can get hands down. The 4.0 is a great lens, but it doesn't hold a candle to it. I'd even say that the Tamron 2.8 VC would be better than the 4.0.

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4438

• Kwablo
  • Fresh Boarder
Once again, thank you Erik for your input. I was aiming for the 1.4 myself but wanted to know if it was worth the extra cash.
With the 70-200, if the 2.8 MKII is really much much better than the 4.0 then I will have to wait and save up for it. I just need to start making money from my photography and then I will be very willing to invest more into it.

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4455

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Kwablo,

I think that Erik narrowed it all down.

You have to make sure that you can create what you want to create and get comfortable with your equipment. From my perspective, the camera and lenses are just a tool like a hammer is for a woodworker.

I think the 24-105 L lens is a good and solid lens for the start, and it will help you to reach the things you want to create.

If you are aiming for the pure wedding photography, i would recommend the following lenses (as far as advise will go, because you have to make this decision yourself.)

- Canon 14-24mm
- Canon 24-70mm MkII F/2.8
- Canon 70-200mm MkII F/2.8
- Canon 300mm F/2.8

For primes, which i will not recommend for wedding photography because you need a zoom lens (in my opinion)
- 50mm F/1.2/1.4/1.8
- 35mm F/1.4

Flashes
- Canon 600EX (Because its stronger than the 430 which makes it more easy to stand further away.

I hope you can make the right decision. Try to earn money first with your photography. Be sure that you save that money and invest it later as you already have got the experience. So you know what you want to create, and what you are able to create with a specific lens.

For example. I am someone who don't want to bother the wedding by walking around so most of the time i am in the back shooting. I have some strobes near to the couple and i will cover that with plants or ropes or so.

While i am standing in the back, i am using the 300 mm to create the image. And some time i am a little more to the front and i am using the 70-200 for full face shots or so.

But i will not use my 24-70 or 14-24 for that, so if you buy that in the beginning and you will not use that, or you will force yourself to use that, you will not create the images that you want to create.

Think about that.

Greetings,
Roy

Help Please 3 years 5 months ago #4479

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
Kwablo wrote:
Once again, thank you Erik for your input. I was aiming for the 1.4 myself but wanted to know if it was worth the extra cash.
With the 70-200, if the 2.8 MKII is really much much better than the 4.0 then I will have to wait and save up for it. I just need to start making money from my photography and then I will be very willing to invest more into it.

When starting out don't stress about this too much. Until you can afford what you need, you can add in the price to rent whatever lens you need. For example, right now the only L lenses I have are primes. Because that is what I like. BUT, if I get a job that I know I'll need a 70-200 I know that it will cost me about $40 per day to rent it, and I like to have it a day before and a day after the shoot (Just in case). So I add $160 to my bid for the job, to cover those costs.

In sort, I don't own all the glass I'd like to have. But, one trip to my local shop, I have what I need for any shoot.