Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The NEW Canon 70D

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4464

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86

Canon has announced their brand new DSLR Camera. The 70D.

Finally they have decided to renew their game changing Canon 60D. So let me take you a little back in time.

When Canon announced their 60D, it was the first DSLR camera with a full articulating screen. Which means, it pops out and can be used to let you see the image better when you work above your head with live view, or from the frog's perspective.

It was also game changing because the 60D was a upgrade from the 50D which was liked a lot. But they have removed the Magnesium Alloy body for a Glassfiber (carbon) Alloy polycarbonate body. Its lost its water resistance but it gained advanced video functions. It also has the same image sensor as the Canon 7D, but does not have the dual processor as the 7D has.

So! They have renewed their 60D with a 70D. With:
- Flippy Floppy screen with touch functions
- 20.2 megapixel image sensor
- 19 autofocus points
- 98% accurate viewfinder
- Built in WiFi
- 7 frames a second in burst mode
- 1 SD Card slot...
and a lot more

So. My first question was. The buffer of the 60D is quite good. Better than the 550D, 600D or higher in the XXXD's. So how its on the 70D? It shoots more frames a second so the buffer will fill quicker

Also, for who is this camera. Someone who is using the 550D, 600D, 650D or the 700D will upgrade to a 7D or 5D to gain a real upgrade against to their APC-C sensor camera's.

I think this camera will be a camera for someone who is very serious about going into photography, or someone who uses a 1000D, 1100D or even a 100D to gain a real upgrade to the Canon 70D.

For me, personal. I use in my personal life a Canon 60D which performs just fine for what i use it for. I will not consider upgrading as these features which are in the 70D, will probably be introduces to Full Frame camera's and so on. I always thought that the 60D, and now the 70D is a sort of "test" camera for their new features.

And 19 autofocus points... Hmm.. yeah.. all Cross Type... But.. But.. why 19 Canon? Why not using the autofocus system of the 5D MkIII, or give more points or what so ever. The 60D had 11, and now the 70D has 19. 8 points more around the middle... They could have done better.

I really think that a touch screen is not for professional users of DSLR camera's. When i spoke to someone from Canon, he said: "the touch screen can also be used for professional film makers" and i was like "But you know they use film rigs for their work with manual autofocus?"

So yeah. I don't think that professionals or advanced hobbyists will use the touch screen which will make it a gimmick for me. But we will see what will happen with that.

For now, i think its great that Canon keeps pushing out good gear and new gear with new functions like WiFi which can come in handy for using video and wireless transmitting of images.

The prices will be around $1100 to $1200. Which is fairly for now as it is brand new and full of options. We will see to what it drops in 6 months.

What do you guys think about this new camera?

Greetings,

Roy
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Roy van Ommen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4465

• Roy van Ommen
So i have heard that it can do 16 (!!) RAW images in a row before the buffer will run out. I also heard that the Nikon D800 can do 6 to 8 before the buffer runs out. So that's good for the Canon side.

Some first reactions i see flying around on the Interwebs are..

- This is a Canon 7D killer
- I miss the weather sealing
- Why does it not come with a L lens

What do you guys think?
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Roy van Ommen.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4466

• Jim St Croix
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Roy van Ommen wrote:
So i have heard that it can do 16 (!!) RAW images in a row before the buffer will run out. I also heard that the Nikon D800 can do 6 to 8 before the buffer runs out. So that's good for the Canon side.

What do you guys think?

These days with so many new cameras always being released i don't think any one is a camera killer.I shoot a 7d and i love it.Will i change cameras in order to get better higher iso with a newer full size sensor? Probably, in the future i will. The 25 frame burst rate and autofocus system with the 7d is great when doing sports,auto,wildlife etc.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4467

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I have a really hard time getting excited about new cameras now days. For whatever reason, I still don't feel like I need to upgrade.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4470

• Roy van Ommen
Erik Ballew wrote:
I have a really hard time getting excited about new cameras now days. For whatever reason, I still don't feel like I need to upgrade.

I can understand that Erik. Its like i always say, you can capture great things with older camera's.

But the new bodies are needed for the new technologies and for when your camera dies, you can buy a new body with all of those new features.

So yeah. On one side i can understand your reply as a statement. On the other side, improvement is needed for better results in de future and creating that better result much quicker.

Otherwise we will still be photographing on wet paper or so ;)

Greetings,
Roy

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4473

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Roy van Ommen wrote:

What do you guys think?

Well it on paper it beats the 7D in many but not all aspects, and considering the 7D was released in 2009 it does not seem to be such a large leap from the 7D to the 70D overall. Interestingly the 7D and the 70D are now the same price for body only. It will be interesting to see what they might do specs wise with the rumoured 7D mk2.

What it does do is kill the 60D in pretty much every aspect except price, the 60D can be had now for about half of what the 70D will be at launch.

In the canon line up only single digit models (ie, 7D, 5D, 6D) tend to get put with L glass for kits.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 5 months ago #4491

I just picked up a 60D upgrading from my Nikon D3100 which was my first DSLR.

I got a great price on the 60D refurbished from Adorama.

The main thing I like in the 70D is the wifi built in. To me honestly that is a great feature for off camera viewing and not sure if I will just get an eyefi card to try out.

I currently hook the 60D up to my 10.1 inch Android tablet and that works great for on tripod.

Wow for 1200 or 1600 dollars I could have gotten a ton of gear including my 60D.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 4 months ago #4515

• xzoup
  • Fresh Boarder
Not ready to upgrade from my indestuctible 7D especially when I just had the auto focus fixed. I love this video on the Canon 7D.......
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by xzoup. Reason: mis-spelled video

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 4 months ago #4518

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Well, it looks like a pretty solid upgrade to me. Same number of megapixels as in the 6d, except in a crop sensor and with a few cherry-picked features from other models in Canon's range.

I think this camera really depends on this fancy new AF thing that Canon have developed because we have never seen it in other models. I am a bit disappointed that Canon used the now more basic 19 point AF system found in the 7d. The Nikon D7100, it's main competitor has a 51 point AF system, although Canon's 19 Af points are all cross type while "only" 15 of the Nikon's are. I would have loved to see the AF system of the 5d Mark III in this camera but perhaps that will be reserved for the 7d's replacement, or perhaps not, considering the 6d only has an 11 point AF system.

Roy van Ommen wrote:
I also heard that the Nikon D800 can do 6 to 8 before the buffer runs out. So that's good for the Canon side.

Okay, fair point Roy but these cameras are aimed at two completely different people. The D800 is a full frame camera with 16 more MPs than the 70d and is aimed at those of us who need max detail in our images, like landscape photographers. The 70d is a cropped sensor camera aimed at the enthusiast photographer who will be shooting sports or fast moving subjects like birds in flight. It is a fair comparison and good for the Canon user in all of us considering the price difference of the two, but remember that these cameras are aimed at different people.

I would hate the touch screen, simple as that; it screams entry level DSLR to me, something which this camera is not.

Overall, I think this is good news from Canon who have somewhat neglected their crop sensor cameras in the last few years. I am also looking forward to the 7D's replacement, which must be coming soon.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Conor Casey.

The NEW Canon 70D 3 years 3 months ago #4815

photopro789 I think that the new Canon 70D sounds like a good deal. But what can do for professional wedding photographers?