Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6218

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
This is driving me crazy - when my image quality settings are on RAW, the size is 12M 4272x2848. When I open in photoshop - it either appears as 4272 x 2848 - (17.8x11.867) with 240 ppi or as 59.333 x 39.556 with 72 ppi.

I have been taking photos for years - and I know how to resize, I know how to change the resolution to 300 - but wondering why it's not 300 SOOC. I have never had a problem with image quality as it relates to print size.
I realize that the camera itself is bottom of the line - but I have enjoyed it so much. I have about 4 pieces of glass to go with it and can't see myself investing in a newer model anytime soon. I go online and see photos that are 55MB at 5406 x 3568.

Is that the only solution though? To get a newer camera? Maybe just buy a "body" and keep the same glass?

I do take pictures for hire - and people have never complained about image quality...but it drives me crazy.

Thanks for any tips!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6219

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
you have to change the default workflow options

remember because the image is raw photoshop needs to assign a colourspace, resolution, bit depth and ppi so you can see the image with your eyeballs

click the text at the bottom of the ACR window to make changes to workflow settings

Untitled by charltonstudios, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6220

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Yes, change your ACR settings, then when you open your image into photoshop, it will automatically have that ppi

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6221

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the help - I don't know how to change ACR settings - I do not have "photoshop" - I only have photoshop elements12. It can do so much and I've always enjoyed it - but am now fearing that it is missing this beautiful tab that you mention. I always open my photos in RAW.
The only tab under my photo in RAW says "Depth" and gives the option of 8 bit or 16 bit channel.
On the far left HELP, then SAVE IMAGE - then the DEPTH - on the far right - DONE CANCEL and OPEN IMAGE.
Normal tools flow down the right side bar.
9 options on top that i never use in RAW - zoom, eye dropper, red eye, rotate, etc.
I normally play with the sliders on the right for exposure, blacks, white balance, etc etc.
I can't imagine buying the full version of photoshop - not at this point. This is such a let down for me! I am wondering if a newer camera would be cheaper than buying photoshop?
Sorry for my long post - but I greatly appreciate your advice!
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Erin.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6222

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Why are you wanting to set it to 300 dpi?

This experiment shows that it is next to impossible to see better than 175 dpi on an 8x10 print
www.have-camera-will-travel.com/field_re..._dpi_print_myth.html

and on the monitor, dpi is irrelevant. Pixels are pixels and the density is always based on your monitor's physical pixel density

I guess if your printer was optimized to print at a given dpi... but still, in the article it shows that his native print at 416dpi was identical to his 175 dpi non native print.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6223

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I prefer 300 ppi because over the last 10 years that is what I've heard over and over and what I read about - that 300 is the better image quality and you can print larger prints. I'm not saying I want to wallpaper my foyer with it - but you never know when someone might want to print larger than a 16x20. I am using a new MAC desktop and I love my huge monitor. I do not print photos myself - I use MILLERS or MPIX for prints. I just fear that if anyone were to print over a certain size then the quality might be at risk. When I am online and see other prints with a higher resolution - I am wondering why mine aren't 300. Once upon a time mine were at 300 - and that was with an older camera.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6225

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
when the image is on the computer, and in the editor ppi/dpi means nothing because you are working in pixels. Let's say I take a 640x480 image at 72ppi and I convert it 300, the image will still be 640x480. All the ppi in photoshop does is give the canvas a size in cm or inches. It does, zero to the image.

If I import an image into PS as 300dpi and edit the image, then change the setting to 72 dpi, there is no degradation, just a change in assigned measurement of the canvas.

I'm pretty sure your printer can override dpi settings, because if I printed a 72 DPI 6000x4000 on an 8x10 with no scaling, It would be insanely zoomed in.

There is the keyword scaling. It takes those 6000x4000 pixels and scales them to the piece of paper. Then the printer prints at it's assigned DPI.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Brent Ross.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6227

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I posted a reply - but looks like it didn't post -
I don't think I'm making myself clear - I see others online with an image file size that is so large. My file size looks so small in comparison. I want friends/family/clients to be able to print a larger print - if they so chose - without losing quality. I fear the way it is set up - that if they print too large - they will lose pixels - and it will look grainy / pixelated - does that make sense?

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6229

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
the canon t3i shoots 18 MP images which is crazy overkill.
are you shooting raw or jpeg?
can't see why you'd have tiny filesize

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6230

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I shoot RAW.

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6231

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
does elements convert the raw to tiff or jpeg on import?
im unfamiliar

Canon T3 - Image Quality at 240 ppi in RAW 2 years 2 months ago #6232

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
when i post images to my personal site on wix, i'll do a particular larger size, say 8x10 at 70 ppi and its fine. But another work around maybe to save your images as png, on one site png's load larger than jpegs., if you upload them at 300 ppi, it mite be loading your files smaller.
  • Page: