Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS?

Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 9 months ago #1214

I'm planning to buy a Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 lens.
Just asking if without IS is good enough for Wedding especially inside the church when there is low light. I'm worried that my shot will be blurred due to no IS. I know that most churches don't allow you to use Flash. With IS the price is expensive...

My body is Canon 5D Mark II.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 9 months ago #1215

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Well I'm not a Canon shooter but I guess it depends on your budget. If you can afford it, the f/2.8 with IS is a cracking choice and would be the ideal choice.

Do you really need IS the though? While it would be great to have it, how slow a shutter speed are you really going to be using? It is a very bright lens so f/2.8 will give you plenty of light. Plus you are using a 5d Mark II whose ISO range you should't be afraid to use. So pushing up the ISO a bit and shooting at f/2.8 could make the IS not needed. I wouldn't hesitate to push the ISO up to 1000 or more if required, particularly on full frame.

The real question is does this make IS obsolete in your case? I mean the only real difference is going to be IS as the older non-IS version will look the same to the IS version to 99% of people even when pixel peeping. The IS version is always going to be the best choice but at a quick glace it is €800 more expensive. Can you justify that expense? That could be another lens right there.

Hope this has helped. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Conor Casey.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 9 months ago #1218

Heaps of thanks Conor

If IS the ideal choice then I'll get IS then. I'll just save a little bit just to get the IS.

I'm thinkin, if get the non-IS and then there will be a time that you really need that feature or more stops of light. I might be wasting money if I have the non IS now and getting the same lens again with IS.

For me quality is important to me, so I'll get the IS.

again Conor Thanks!

Re: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 9 months ago #1226

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Good choice, it is probably better to spend the extra to get exactly what you want, particularly if you think you will regret not getting the IS in the future. The IS 70-200 is a lens you will have for years.

Enjoy, glad to have been of help. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 4 months ago #1797

I must say I love My 70-200 2.8 with IS I think its a better choice because when you at 200mm or have a extender on to i would miss that IS because the lens is freaking heavy after a while so i would say go for the IS!!

Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 4 months ago #1804

Be sure to watch my VR/IS video, it might sway you...

Re: Canon 70 - 200 2.8 with IS? or without IS? 4 years 4 months ago #1816

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
With the Video of Greg in my mind. i would go for the one with IS.

Maybe only because it will keep the value, and you can sell it faster because the people who are looking for 2nd hand lenses, are almost always looking for IS versions...

(Speaking out of experience).

And i do use a 70-200 with IS. And i think its a great piece of equipment.

Greetings.
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo