Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: which lens?

which lens? 4 years 5 months ago #1592

I am considering two lens to buy in my budget range.
Canon 70x200 f2.8 non is
Sigma 70x200 f2.8 is
I shoot a Canon t3i now. I am above average camera user. I enjoy taking pictures of people, both portraits and groups, indoors and out. I also have grand children in sports, basketball and baseball and want to take pictures of them in action.
My main concern is the Canon is a great lens but I can't afford the is version. The Sigma has os and is close to the same price. Which would you suggest? Is the Sigma guality picture wise comparable to the Canon?

Thanks
Robbie
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Robbie Avants. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: which lens? 4 years 5 months ago #1594

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I use neither but I'd go with the Canon. Any reviews I've read has favored the Canon.

The Canon is optically better and would be my choice. I'd only go with the Sigma if you really need the OS. Like will you be shooting at very fast shutter speeds in low light a lot? If not, the Canon all the way for me. The Sigma is a fine lens but the Canon would be the better choice.

And welcome to the forum. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie Avants
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: which lens? 4 years 5 months ago #1595

Glad to be in the forum. I have watched all Greg's YouTube videos. They, unlike fro, are straight forward no bull, and very informative . I really enjoy them.

I probably won't be doing to much high shutter speed low light shooting, although I will be doing some. At what shutter speed do you think you can hand hold the non is canon with no problem? Would a monopod offer the same results as is?

Thanks
Robbie

Re: which lens? 4 years 5 months ago #1596

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Agree with you about the Fro and Greg. I stopped watching that channel a long time ago when he (very stupidly) got rid of Greg. I saw a video of his recently and it was pretty much bull. It has gone far downhill since Greg left. Thankfully he started this.

Well, the rule for calculating the lowest usable shutter speed is that you use the shutter speed that is the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens. So, for example, at 70mm, the lowest shutter speed you can use is 1/70 of a second if such a setting existed. And at 200mm, the lowest usable shutter speed is 1/200. This is not a definite science as some people will be able to handhold slower, but it is a very good general rule of thumb.

A monopod will be a good aid and should give you a few extra stops. A tripod would be ideal. But sometimes, you just need high shutter speeds, like if your grandchildren will be playing sports, and that is where the Os will shine. You do have f/2.8 at all focal lengths which will let plenty of light in and allow you to use fast shutter speeds plus you could always increase the ISO of your 600d.

Overall, I'd still go with the Canon. It offers better image quality and if you will only be doing high shutter speed photography in low light occasionally, you will get away with opening the lens up to f/2.8 and increasing the ISO if need be. Plus, a monopod or tripod could also be used. Overall, for you, I think the Canon would be best. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Conor Casey.

which lens? 4 years 5 months ago #1599

Don't judge the purchase on vr/os/is. As I explained in my VR video it's not something you need all the time.

What you will want is fast focus which is something you should test on your own body before purchase. Both lenses are good and if you buy the sigma (via my amazon.com link hint hint) and find out you don't like it then you will be able to sell it easily and only lose a few bucks.

Re: which lens? 4 years 4 months ago #1619

I do agree with Greg on this, after all i just went through the same delima just about a month ago with the same body. I wanted to upgrade and did alot of research especially buyers remorse....lol but in the end I ended up with the sigma 70-200 APO DG EX 2.8 Macro HSM. According to some the OS is discountinued and very misleading with sigma but it is a rather sweet lense. And as Greg pointed out if you don't like it it will have a good resale simply for the 2.8 factor.

Re: which lens? 4 years 4 months ago #1620

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hmm.. personally i use the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS.. and for the things i do, i like it.

BUT!, i tried sports sometimes, and i experience that the Autofocus is too slow to do that, where the Canon is fast and accurate.

And, @ 200 mm, the Canon is much more sharper than the Sigma, and i reviewed both..

Good luck on it. Hope to hear your choice soon!

Re: which lens? 4 years 4 months ago #1636

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
By the way, i think this Topic is in the wrong section of the Forum..

Greetz.
Roy