Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thoughts on Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM?

Thoughts on Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM? 4 years 7 months ago #1386

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I am in the midst of of purchasing a new lens. I was thinking of the Sigma 70-200mm (the newer, sadly, more expensive version) but a buddy of mine just said "Get a lens catered to your current body (crop sensor) and choose the new version of Sigma 50-150mm it's cheaper, too". In retrospect, makes perfect sense since it will effectively be 70-200mm thanks to the crop factor.

My first question is, should I heed his advice and buy for my current camera body, since future proofing a lens is like a double edged sword since I am not sure if I will ever go full frame. But when I do, there should be beginners still interested in that 50-150 f/2.8 when I upgrade.

Now second question, since the 70-200mm f/2.8 is quite talked about in the internet as opposed to the 50-150mm f/2.8, I would like to ask, what your thoughts on this piece of glass? If you own one, are you happy with it?

So far, my current body, my current amount of cash, leans towards the 50-150mm, but if I happen to read something here that can change my mind, or just make me lean towards the 50-150mm lens even more so, lesser chances of regret will come from the purchase. :)

Thanks guys! It is easy to give advice when I am not making the purchase, but ironically, my mind goes blank when I am finally the one making the purchase and need advice. LOL

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thoughts on Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM? 4 years 7 months ago #1387

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
I've never use it personally. I think if it was an effective focal length more companies would be making it. I would do some research and testing in store before purchasing. Try searching Flickr for images...
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Thoughts on Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM? 4 years 7 months ago #1395

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
If I were to find the older 70-200mm Sigma without the OS, do you think the lack of OS would hurt me? Because I don't think I can afford the new 70-200mm with OS. LOL

Should I choose the older 70-200mm over the 50-150mm with OS? Thanks Greg!

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!