Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need suggestions for travel bag

Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1435

• Brent S
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys, been keeping up with Greg since he was with you know who. Enjoy the vids greg! Anyway, I am looking for some advice/suggestions for a travel bag.

I have a think tank airport security that I plan to use for an upcoming trip, but i need a day bag that will hold my gear while I am at my destination. I typically use a backpack while at home, but I need something I can pack in my luggage and then load once I am on location. I'm going to Aruba, so I'll have my D7000, 50mm, 24-70 sigma, 80-200 nikon and accessories. I've been thinking about a messenger style bag, but having never used one, not sure if I would like it or if I could pack it in my luggage when empty.

Any thoughts?

BS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1436

I do something very similar with my Retrospective 30... www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/should...ive.aspx?code=WS-422

I love my Retro 30. Its my primary bag and easy to shoot out of. The only thing I suggest is be sure you don't mind carrying a shoulder bag for long periods of time. I prefer a backpack for that reason and will take my Shapeshifter instead.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1439

• Brent S
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Greg and thanks for the response. Quick question, if I had the shorter inserts for my Airport Int. V2, do you think the shape shifter would fit inside of the Airport?

Re: Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1441

Hey Brent,

I've been using the SwissGear ZINC Messenger for a while now, picked it up @ Best Buy of all places, and I use it on almost every shoot. I always have my 70-200mm, 24-105mm, and a 50 or 85 prime. I can pack up all those lenses plus my 5d MKII and be on my way.

One of my favorite features is that this bag has two really nice fold over flaps that stay down when you have the main flap open. If I'm changing lens and keep the main flap open, I'm never worried about anything falling out! It's also got two storage compartments, one on each side (big enough to hold battery charger, CF card case, wires, etc). Plus a zipper compartment on the flap and a velcro compartment on the back...I've used it to carry a fold up soft-box, reflector, etc.

Anyways, it's a really nice bag, durable, and about half the price of the big name brands. I'd buy it again!

Re: Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1446

Brent S wrote:
Hi Greg and thanks for the response. Quick question, if I had the shorter inserts for my Airport Int. V2, do you think the shape shifter would fit inside of the Airport?

I don't think so...at least not with a decent amount of gear in the AIv2.

Re: Need suggestions for travel bag 4 years 6 months ago #1461

• Jim
  • Fresh Boarder
I also have a Retrospective 30 which is truly great as a day bag. I've gotten a D700/MBD10, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VRII and a 50 1.4 along with an SB700 in the front pocket- It's a bit on the heavy side but it does work well. Not sure I would pack my gear in it for a plane ride.

I'd likely use a TT Airport Ultralight.....Lots of room, and well padded and protected.