Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question about cropped vs full framed

Question about cropped vs full framed 4 years 6 months ago #1458

• Matt Duffie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
What is the real advantage of a full frame vs a cropped frame camera?

Im having trouble understanding this. It seems like a full frame lens would work better on a crop sensor rather than a full frame sensor, considering the edges of the lense would be cropped out. I know that you would get more of the photo in the frame, but wouldn't it be better to just take a step back?

Hopefully someone will understand my question. Thanks in advance for any input!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Matt Duffie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question about cropped vs full framed 4 years 6 months ago #1459

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I guess the real differences of FF vs crop is FF has shallower DOF at any given aperture, no crop factor, and usually they are just better sensors in terms of quality.

A FF lens on a crop body is only utilizing the center most portion of the lens, so less vignetting. But then again FF lenses are designed for FF cameras.

If you compare the 12MP D300 vs the 12MP (FF) D700, the D700 is better in low light because the pixels are larger. Now that Nikon has the D800 out, the real advantage from crop to FF is MP, over the future D400/600* whenever Nikon decides to announce new cameras. There might be a slight difference in build quality, probably not much though. And this might sound dumb, but you can actually say you have a FF camera! That might be one advantage.

It might not sound like much but, I would assume once you actually have a FF camera the differences and or advantages will be clear.

If I didn't answer this to your liking let me know.

Andy
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today