Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Laptop for Photography/College

Laptop for Photography/College 4 years 5 months ago #1583

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new laptop mainly for Photography/photo editing and for college in August.

My current laptop, an old, old, tired Toshiba model is just not up to scratch for both photo-editing and any sort of use outside the home. I bought it before I became really interested in photography and really only downloaded a few photo editors to keep up with raw files. The processor is too slow to do any kind of rigorous photo editing and the hard drive is too small to store any serious quantity of photos.

So, I am going to college next year and will need a laptop for that purpose, ie: good battery life, ability to work with word documents etc - really the basics.

I will also need it to be good for photo editing as I really need a decent photo editor ie: Lightroom or Photoshop, or perhaps both. So, I guess I need a decent enough processor, a largeish hard-drive and decent RAM. I would also prefer a matte finish on the screen.

So, any suggestions for my above requirements of college and photo-editing? I want to spend maybe €600 which is about $750 to $800. I understand a desktop is the best solution for photo-editing but I just cannot afford both a desktop and laptop for college. I was thinking something like a Lenovo IdeaPad or Thinkpad but I'm really kind of clueless. Any suggestions/personal experiences would be great.

Thanks guys. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Laptop for Photography/College 4 years 5 months ago #1591

• dave seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • canon all the way..
  • Thank you received: 2
so many choices conor, also 3 months from now is a long time in computer talk.

just get the best you can afford at the time, you know what you need in terms of ram, hd, cpu specs.

for me i know the make of laptop i like its just a matter of getting the specs right to suit my needs.
ie. all singing all dancing with bells on lol

B)
7D. 24-105L.
50mm f1.8
100-400 f4.5.6 IS
430exii.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Laptop for Photography/College 4 years 5 months ago #1593

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Will do, thanks for your help Dave. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Laptop for Photography/College 4 years 5 months ago #1600

Agreed.