Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90

Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #22

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hello fellow Cazillions,

I am looking for a wide-angle lens for my Nikon D90 and am hoping someone here can help me. I currently have the kit lens (18-105) and generally find it a good, capable zoom, but often find that I can't fit enough in the frame at times, which can be very annoying. Therefore, I need a wide-angle. I want to take mainly landscape photos (>90%) as this is my main subject at the moment. I am also interested in low-light shots, mainly in urban areas but rural if I can get the chance. Architecture would be a minor interest but I have very little interest in wide-angle portraits or group shots.

From research, I have a very large number of options. I have in fact narrowed it down to a few lenses: Nikon 12-24 f/4, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I think it will however be between the Sigma and the Tokina. The Sigma is attractive for the HSM and image quality. On the other hand, the Tokina has excellent build quality (metal) as opposed to the plastic of the Sigma, and an f/2.8 aperture as well as great image quality. However, I heard somewhere the Tokina is not really a landscape lens (which is I want it for), but rather better for low light and architecture. The limited zoom range of the Tokina would not bother me as I will be using it at it's widest most of the time.

So, I am wondering if anyone here has any advise for me as I'm quite stuck. Would anyone recommend one over another? Does anyone have any other lens suggestions I left out? I am also keen to hear people's own personal experiences with particular wide-angle lenses. Please help as I'm quite stuck.

Thanks,
Jazzman. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #25

• Kyle Mazur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I haven't used any of them a lot but everyone raves about the tokina. I'd go play with them first
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #26

Agreed, playing with them at the store is a good thing.

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #34

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have local camera shop that I was at for a few hours playing around with all of the different cameras and lenses before I decided on which combo. So that is the best thing to do, as previously stated. Plus it helps if you know everyone there and visit regularly.

Andy

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #39

• Atkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the tokina 11-16 2.8 on my D90 and it works a treat, go for it.

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #50

AndysRollei wrote:
I have local camera shop that I was at for a few hours playing around with all of the different cameras and lenses before I decided on which combo. So that is the best thing to do, as previously stated. Plus it helps if you know everyone there and visit regularly.

Andy

Not having easy access to a good camera shop is one of the downsides of living in NC and I miss having that.
a Cajun lost somewhere in NC

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #69

Haven't used it myself but I have a friend who raves about the Tokina and the price isn't too bad.
But like Greg suggested, the best thing to do is to experience the equipment yourself..try it out if possible.
JVDodd Photography

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #106

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I've tried a lot of the Sigma products and I'm a proud owner of some of their lenses. I trust their build quality.

But the greatest advice really is what was said already, try it out and see what's best for you. Everyone has their own feel for equipment, so I may say one brand, another may say otherwise. What's important is that you feel comfortable and happy with your equipment. :) You produce the shots you want...

So, ask your local camera shop for a test on those lenses. :)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Conor Casey

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #146

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Another vote for the Sigma 8-16. Just can't beat it for WIDE!! Image quality is great, and fall-off at the edges is well within respectable limits.

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #161

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I used to have a D200 with a Tokina 12-24mm f4. Just a wonderful lens and Combination! The Tokina 11-16 / 10-17 would have a pretty small range and you must decide, if this could become an issue or not. Please consider, it would be a big mistake to put landscapephotography on the same level as wide-angle-photography. This is absolutely not true. There´s no need to put everything into the frame. Wide-Angel-photography means getting as close to the subject as possible. For scenic photos, I would use a 16-85mm Nikkor on DX. I bet, you´ll end up on 35-50mm ranges very often. For lowlight photos of cities and landscapes, I would get myself a 35mm 1.8.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90 4 years 11 months ago #233

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hello again everyone,

Just to let you guys know, I visited my local camera shop yesterday and had a good look and feel of all potential lenses. After spending a good hour or so playing with and scrutinizing various wide-angle weapons, I decided, in the end, to go with the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5. It was the one I kept coming back to again and again.

The Nikon 10-24 just didn't feel as good in the hands. The Tokina felt very nice, however in the end I concluded that the 11-16mm is a little too limiting a zoom range, plus the Sigma can go to 10mm (a big difference at the wide end). Also the f/2.8 of the Tokina is really only a half a stop brighter when you think about it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advise guys. :) I was especially glad I made the effort to go into my local in town as they were having a sale, and I actually snapped up the f/3.5 version for the same price as the variable aperture version! Happy Days! :D

Well, I'm off to play with my new Sigma...all I have to do is to wait for this dreadful weather/storm to blow out to the Irish sea and I'll be out snapping photos.

Thanks again,
Conor. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Conor Casey. Reason: Forgot a word. :)