Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Memory Card Sizes

Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #221

• Greg Griffith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just picked up a few new 8G memory cards from SanDisk and it made me wonder, what size memory cards does everybody prefer? Why is it you prefer that size?

As for myself, I have been sticking with 8G cards. It gives me about 600 shots in RAW per card and I was always taught to use smaller cards, rather than lets say a 32G, just in case it fails in the middle of a shoot you wont loose everything.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Greg Griffith.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #229

I use both 8 and 16gb CF cards from Sandisk ( Extreme or something )
Since my D700 has only 1 slot, I prefer to work with lower gb CF's for several reasons.

First and foremost, if I would shoot a wedding on a 32 or 64gb card and something went wrong, I would loose everything. Now i just shoot the official pics on one card, the actual marriage on another, and the party on a larger card.
For me, that works good. I don't have to be afraid that if a card dies on me I loose all my work.

Until now I never had any CF failure, but you never know ;)
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #231

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
It´s probably sort of overcautious, but I like to stick to my 4GB-CF-Cards from Sandisk. For the same reason, Remco has just pointed out. And I had an issue with a Sandisk-Extreme-Card (2GB) a few years ago. So I prefere to take some Cards with me instead of just one that could crash. I shoot RAW and a 4 GB-Card fits for all images of a one-day-shooting anyway.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #245

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I just use 4gigs and 8gigs; I limit my shots as I always keep my actuations in mind. I don't spray and pray so I usually don't need large capacity.

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #254

• Kyle Mazur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I use 2, 4, 8 gig Cards. i've never had a failure <knock wood>. I'm scared of putting them all on one card losing everything. I also use hoodman cards and a delkin card router which allows me to import 4 cards at once.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #255

I have 4s and 8s. For those with dual memory card slots I've thought about getting 2 32GB cards then setting the camera to use the second slot as 'backup'. Haven't done it yet though, maybe if I really needed it but for now I'm fine.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #258

My favorite cards are the Sandisk 8gb extreme pro's. I only get around 280 shots in RAW, but, I keep a bunch of them handy during big shoots. I like to stick to the 8gb cards for the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned...don't want to rely on one card and take the chance of losing everything in the event of a failure.

I do use a 16gb & 32gb card when I'm shooting video simply for longer recording times.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #260

• Jeff Bullman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
4 and 8's here too.
Got a couple of the $15 Kingston 8GB's, a little slow, but I've never had a problem with them unless I'm motoring through everything.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #261

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have 16's and 32's. Being in IT for the last 20 years or so.... I can't remember the last time I had a memory card go bad on me. Now that I've said that I'll have failure after failure. Seriously though, I have not had any issues with reliability, although I tend to buy the "good" cards and not the generic stuff.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #262

I too have pretty much just used 4gb and 8gb cards for the same reasons as everyone above. I did have a 4gb card go bad (I could read from it but can write to it or format it anymore) so I'm reluctant to put all my images in one basket, per se. I've been tempted to move to a 16gb but for now I'm content to have multiple smaller cards.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #264

• Greg Griffith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I had been using Kingston 4Gs when shooting football. Since I only shoot football in Large JPEG, I found them plenty fast for that. When shooting RAW, however I did find them to be a bit slow processing burst shots.

I am glad to see I was not in the minority with why I only use 8G cards. Pretty cool to hear everybody else does it for the same reasons.

Re: Memory Card Sizes 4 years 11 months ago #286

I use a 16gb and 32gb Sandisk Extreme pro's 45mb/s basically for the write speed and plenty of room if I want to take video as well and the price was right at the time I got them.

I like the 32gb as I do timelapse now and then and it really comes in handy.

If they go it doesn't matter if they are 2,4,8 or whatever size, The important thing is to have extras.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Jim Ferreira. Reason: spelling
  • Page: