Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Sigma 28-70 2.8D EX

More
4 years 8 months ago #2354 by Ryan Chubb
Hi there,

I have recently dropped and broken my 18-105 kit lens on my Nikon D90. I am looking to upgrade to a 2.8.

I have a 50 1.4 and sigma 70-200 2.8.

I have come across a used Sigma 28-70 2.8D EX for £99 ($160). Does anyone have experience or thoughts on using this lens on a crop sensor?

I'm thinking of getting this lens and maybe a wide angle zoom also to make up for what's lacking in my kit!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #2374 by Roy van Ommen
Hi there Ryan,

At firts, welcome to the forums! :)

I do not have expirience with that particular lens, but it sounds nice. For that price, you will not get a 1st class professional lens, but you can take the shots like you want them and correct them in your post processing.

I would say do it, go for your REDACTED :)

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gregory Cazillo.

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
4 years 8 months ago #2397 by Gregory Cazillo
Does the D90 have a focus motor built in? D lenses need one in the body as they don't have af in the lens. Seems too cheap.

More
4 years 8 months ago #2400 by Conor Casey
Yes Greg, the D90 has a focus motor. ;)

I'd go for the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 if I was you and if you can afford it. 28mm is very long for the widest setting and on the D90, it is 42mm which is getting into short tele-photo category. I think even with a wide-angle, you will find this to be an inconvenience, having to switch lenses often. 17-50mm is equivalent to 25-75mm in full frame terms. Hope this helped. :)

Conor Casey
Flickr