Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Pixels

More
4 years 2 months ago #2728 by Mark
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly:

The pixels on a 21mp full-frame sensor are larger than the pixels on a 21mp crop sensor; and because they are larger can collect more light which will produce less noise; and because they are larger can produce better resolution.

Similarly, an 8mp sensor on my iPhone is not the same as an 8mp sensor in my DSLR body (full or crop sensor) because the pixels are smaller, and they cannot collect as much light, producing a noisier and less resolute picture.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2729 by Gregory Cazillo
Correct.

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2731 by Roy van Ommen

Mark wrote: I just want to make sure I understand this correctly:

The pixels on a 21mp full-frame sensor are larger than the pixels on a 21mp crop sensor; and because they are larger can collect more light which will produce less noise; and because they are larger can produce better resolution.

Similarly, an 8mp sensor on my iPhone is not the same as an 8mp sensor in my DSLR body (full or crop sensor) because the pixels are smaller, and they cannot collect as much light, producing a noisier and less resolute picture.

Jup.

It also has to do with some sensor evolution. I think mobile phone sensors these days are better than the sensors of a compact camera from 5 years ago.. So there is improvement...

Welcome to the forum by the way :) Some introducing? ;)

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Roy van Ommen.