Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pixels

Pixels 3 years 10 months ago #2728

• Mark
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly:

The pixels on a 21mp full-frame sensor are larger than the pixels on a 21mp crop sensor; and because they are larger can collect more light which will produce less noise; and because they are larger can produce better resolution.

Similarly, an 8mp sensor on my iPhone is not the same as an 8mp sensor in my DSLR body (full or crop sensor) because the pixels are smaller, and they cannot collect as much light, producing a noisier and less resolute picture.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pixels 3 years 10 months ago #2729

Correct.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Pixels 3 years 10 months ago #2731

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Mark wrote:
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly:

The pixels on a 21mp full-frame sensor are larger than the pixels on a 21mp crop sensor; and because they are larger can collect more light which will produce less noise; and because they are larger can produce better resolution.

Similarly, an 8mp sensor on my iPhone is not the same as an 8mp sensor in my DSLR body (full or crop sensor) because the pixels are smaller, and they cannot collect as much light, producing a noisier and less resolute picture.

Jup.

It also has to do with some sensor evolution. I think mobile phone sensors these days are better than the sensors of a compact camera from 5 years ago.. So there is improvement...

Welcome to the forum by the way :) Some introducing? ;)

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Roy van Ommen.