Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Beginner on a budget

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2737

Hi there,

I am currently on a backpacking travel year! I have found due to the increasing photo opportunities i come across on trips and daily new experiences i am more and more interested in the photo's i take!

Currently equipped with a Lumix DMC FX700, essentially a compact however with Aperture and Shutter priority modes and the auto function unable to produce a memorable night shot, i have been watching many a video on how to use the settings available. I would say i know my theory to beginner level on ISO, shutter speed and aperture value fairly well just lacking the practice time.

So what i would like to do is move on to a DSLR. My budget is low, but of course i am only looking for entry level equipment and likely second hand. The more i surf through various body specs and lens acronyms i get confused! With limited travel space i would ideally stick to one lens and make do with what i can, to that end do - will a DSLR benefit me enough to warrant parting with money and the bag space?

Equipment suggestions, websites and generally someone to decide for me if i should make the leap would all be great!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Ben
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2741

DSLR cameras give you the freedom to create what you want. P&S cameras are limited by what the manufacturers think you need. It sounds like your main concern is cost, so you will probably want a Nikon D3200 or D5100. Both are small bodies that will probably come with a kit lens.

Check out this video, it might help too. cazillo.com/articles/37-photography/255-...ext-dslr-camera.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Ben Macleod
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2744

Hi Greg, first thanks a lot for all the videos! Massive help, i've learnt a lot and definitely getting more inspired to try more photography!

I have watched the video and have already looked at those bodies which seem a little out of my price range unfortunately. Or at least to buy new they are, which means I am ideally on the look out for something to pic up on ebay as amazon dont have an Australian website.

Any clues on what you would say is the minimum budget to set myself up with? (US Dollar)

Going from the video, i guess i dont have any priorities specification wise as i'm that new. The only aims i have are to be able to shoot progressively more professional looking photos with depth of field as i get used to the core settings.

Thanks again, Ben

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2759

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Have you looked into mirrorless systems? Like the Nikon 1 or Sony Nex systems? You can buy them used and still get better then what your are using now.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2762

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Keith Homan wrote:
Have you looked into mirrorless systems? Like the Nikon 1 or Sony Nex systems? You can buy them used and still get better then what your are using now.

NO!, i do not agree on that. Really, i think that the Nikon 1 or the Sony NEX systems are just for "users" and "family shots". If you want some images which will look professional, please do not use a Nikon 1 or something else. That piece of technology is not ready at the moment.

If you want something like a mirrorless system, you will have to wait for 1 year. They will become better i am sure of.

But for now, no, don't. I have it, used it. Its on the shelf and its not going anywhere. Oh wait, yes, its going anywhere. Onto Ebay...

(hehe, i am sure i will get some reactions on this! But hey! its my opinion!)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mistery

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2765

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Save those pennies is my advise. I would save for an SLR if I was you. Despite these new, mirrorless, CSC's getting better, I still don't think you can beat an SLR. They are still the best for image quality.

Nikon 1 is not a good system IMO. Tiny sensor, only a bit bigger than a compact! Micro four thirds is good but more aimed at families I think. Sensor is smaller than a crop sensor SLR, but bigger than the Nikon 1 system. Sony NEX body is small and the sensor is the same size as a crop sensor SLR but that means that the lenses are bigger which defeats the purpose of the small body. I'd prefer an SLR. The only CSC's I like is the Olympus OM system and Fuji X-Pro 1. But these are more expensive than entry level DSLR's. :P

Overall, try and save for a DSLR if you can. Still the king in my opinion.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2766

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I never realized they were that bad. I guess it helps if you have first hand knowledge and thanks for sharing it.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2770

• AJ Cadena
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Well, not that awful. I recently replaced my LX3 for a Nikon V1 (prices have dropped) and have been very impressed. Mind you, its not a DSLR. I have a D700 with the accompanying trio of glass that beats out the Nikon V1 at almost every level. However, when I'm traveling on business, shlepping a full frame camera is not in the cards. The V1 has been a treat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2780

Thanks very much for the comments guys!

Any sets in particular i could look out for on second hand sites?
Maybe some older bodies but still beating my compact?

Couple of examples, just seen a D3000 go with no bids on ebay at $260 AUD
"only taken 350 pics or so"

Also have seen a few D80 bodies at cheap rates

I'd say if i could i'd like to spend roughly $300 AUD, obviously less if possible

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2792

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I'm not sure I would want to buy a used body off of Ebay. I prefer to get it locally off of Craig's list or pawn shops, ect. This way you can try the gear out to make sure everything is functional and not been dropped or..... there are also alot of website that offer used gear as well as new gear.

Beginner on a budget 3 years 10 months ago #2802

• Matthew
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Costco and Sam's Club have good deals on a few Nikon and Canon bundles, might be worth your time to check them out.

Costco DSLR bundles

some of them come with DVDs that go into intermediate level functions of the included camera model.