Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3574

• Du Wayne
  • Fresh Boarder
30 years ago, I photographed professionall with B/W film - had a Bronica ETR. I left photography for real life. (Took Ansel Adams workshops, free lancer for Time-Life & more) I'd like to pursue my love of photog again. In film days, I knew it was the person behind the camera that counted. I'm thiniking of the Pentax K 30, Nikon or Canon. Haven't decided which models of Nikon (preferred brand) or Canon. I'd like to get one lens with a zoom up to around 135. Travel to much for a lot of gear. What do you know about the Pentax? I work in Bangkok, Thailand & cameras are expensive here. When I return to Philla on Apr 1 to 6, is when I plan to buy. Doesn't give me much time for shoping. I was impressed your are a Philly guy . Any info you render is welcome. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3587

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there, welcome to the forums!

Well, to be honest, i think you can go either for Nikon or Canon. These are the two popular and biggest manufactures with the widest variaty of stuff.

I would go for a Nikon D600 or higher. Because you are experienced with photography.

If its "only" a hobby you can go for a D7100 (brand new) which is not full frame, but you can create awsome stuff with that.

What is your budget, what are you willing to spend on a camera because we (i) can look closer to something which is within your budget :)

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3593

Once again RVO and I agree!

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3599

• Roy van Ommen
Thank you sir!

Guy who asked about Pentax k30 & Nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3600

• Du Wayne
  • Fresh Boarder
Info was great. I should have mentioned, I'm only interested in the still photog, not video capabilites of the camera, wh I probably never will use. Yeh, I'm a descendent from 35mm film days! I like manual control over auto too.

I checked out the Nikon D600 online. Got good info, but not enuf to persuade me to buy yet. D7100 seemed nice, but I'd go for the D600 or Pentax over it. I like tried & true things. Don't want to be bothered with the bugs of a new item. I want to control things & I used to shoot tight at the viewfinder.

In the past, I did abstract work, looked at lot at BW tones of a print - influenced my Ansel Adams training & Minor White. Used to put poems to photogs, did ballet dancers, abstract sense of nature & candid people stuff. I like to photo food displays too. I did photo jour, but not my life style for a profession. Now I'm retired from my business,& for fun & to keep active in my senior years, teach for a university in Thailand. I like to photo my life surroundings in my senior years.

Hope this helps to focus me when I return to Phila on Apr 1 to 6. That's not much time to shop, do due diligence, & spend several thousand dollars.

My budget is fairly open to about 2000.00 if the items include a lens hood, UV filter & Nikkor zoom lens up to 135 or so. (used only Nikkor lens in my darkroom) I don't like 50mm camera lenes.

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3601

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I think Roy is right too. Canon and Nikon are the two biggest for a reason. Pentax has been off form for years, which is a shame to be honest because in the days of film, I hear they made some cracking cameras and lenses. Pentax were bought by Ricoh two years ago and that seems to have helped. Nikon and Canon users should be happy that Pentax are looking a bit better though as we need Pentax to keep pushing the big brands to continue to innovate. I salute Pentax for this but I still wouldn't buy one.

I am very unfamiliar with Pentax cameras but the K30 seems to be between the D5200 and the new D7100. You say you have experience in photography so if it is a toss up between these two, I'd go for the D7100. It's a semi-pro body that builds on the excellent D7000. If this is two expensive, look for a cheaper D7000 which now that the newer model is out will sell for a little cheaper. Don't be tempted by the D5200, it is only one notch up from entry level.

Roy suggests full frame which is the ideal solution and the D600 will be perfect. My only concern is whether this will be too expensive. You're looking at almost $2,000 body only for a D600. You'll need lenses too and these won't come cheap either, especially as you say you need up to 135mm. This could be a 24-70mm and a 70-200mm kind of thing because with full frame, you'll need good lenses to exploit the best from the camera. Even a super-zoom of an 18-20mm isn't cheap and it seems a shame to use a super-zoom on a full frame camera. If you can afford this, full frame is perfect, otherwise, I would go with the D7100 and build your lenses from there.

If you are completely sure you want a Pentax, the K5 II is probably your best bet. I read a review of it in my photography magazine last month and the reviewer really liked it.

If money is no object, the D600 and a good host of lenses would be my choice. If you are constrained by budget, the D7100 would be best I think.

Good luck and welcome to the forums! :)
Let us know how you get on. :side:
Conor Casey
Flickr

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3614

• Roy van Ommen
Well.. based on your budget, i would go for a D7100.

About the lense... you have to check out the original Nikon lenses if you go for a Nikon.

You can get the hebrew trinity like:
14-24
24-70
70-200
And maybe a 300..

You can also get a superzoom on a DX sensor like the 18-200... if thats something which you want..

For the rest, Conor nailed it down ;)

Greetings
Roy

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3618

• Du Wayne
  • Fresh Boarder
As luck goes, I got a chance to use the Canon 6D. I liked the feel & size. Since I travel a lot, the smaller the better. The canon 6D was great. Fit my hands, an important factor. I'd like to get only 1 lens & Canon makes a 24-105 zoom, I think. 1 lens due to travel & inspections. Sorry to labor the point, but being in Thailand it's hard to get good info. I originally asked about the Pentax K30. What info do you have on the Canon D60 & their zoom lens?

Your forum is great. Helps guys like me get used feedback & info.
wish I knew about it earlier & Roy you give precise info. As a prof, I like that

Thanks

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3621

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Not a Canon user and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't buy the 6D unless I was already a Canon user and had other Canon full frame lenses.

If I was in your position where I had to choose between the 6D and D600 and wasn't tied to any brand, I wouldn't go near the 6D. D600 all the way for me. In my opinion, the 6D is one of the weakest cameras Canon has released in quite some time.

There are a number of reasons for this (6D on left, D600 on right):

1. 20 mps (6D) vs 24 (D600)
2. 4.5 fps vs 5.5 fps
3. 97% vs 100% veiwfinder
4. Single vs dual cards slots
5. 11 point (1 cross point) vs 39 point AF system (9 cross point)

The list goes on and I strongly advise you to look at this topic where we discussed this in more detail.

The AF in the 6D is a big thing for me. I mean, Canon have basically used an ancient AF system from the 5D mark II (2008) here. Even the D5200, an upper entry level model, has a better AF system (11 point of the 6D vs 39 point of the D5200) and you will pay at least double for the 6D.

My advice, don't get the 6D unless you have some kind of burning desire to own a Canon. Make no mistake, the D600 is a superior camera and the evidence is there.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3628

• Du Wayne
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the Nikon & Canon comparisons. It helped me to learn a lot. I was impressed with your info on focal points & full frame. I tended to photo tight, not crop in darkroom.

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3629

• Du Wayne
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the Nikon & Canon comparisons, side by side helped a lot. I was impressed with your info on focal points & full frame. I tended to photo tight, not crop in darkroom.

I'll adjust my budget to at least 3K. I want 1 lens only due to weight & travel allowances. It'll have to go in my carry on & I have a pc. Airlines are getting strict as are inspections. I'll search to see if Nikon makes a leans around 50 to 135 zoom. do you know if they do? I couldn't find it on Amazon or other sites I checked. 200 might be over kill for me. I have small hands.

Do you photo professionally? U r spot on! I teach for ABAC Uni. in Bangkok, TH. Before that owned a chocolate bus for decades.

Thanks,

Pentax k 30 compared to a corresponding nikon 3 years 8 months ago #3630

• Roy van Ommen
Hi there,

Well, lets come closer to your budget. Lets put Canon and Nikon next to each other.

Lets start with the Canon.

I have selected 2 camera's for you. The already called 6D and the 5D MkIII.

So, the Canon 6D with the 24-105 f/4.0 is in Holland around € 2.400,- euro's. So thats around 2.600,- US dolars i guess.

What will you get,
Well, a Full Frame canon Eos DSLR. Magnesium Alloy body (weatherproof)Digic 5+ processor (newest canon), 20.2 megapixels (which will create images of 5472 x 3648 megapixels, so per file around 30 mb's.) ISO range from 100 to 3200 (can go to 25600 but the files will be unuseable in my opinion). Shutter speeds go up to 1/4000 sec (thats SLOW! Even my 60D can go up to 1/8000. You will never use that, but what ever ;))

You don't have a 100 % viewfinder (which is odd for a full frame camera) 11 focus point (mentioned before).

The lense will be a 24 - 105 F/4.0 L Lense which is a semi pro quality lense. You will not get the same results with that as a 24 - 70 2.8 and a 70 - 200 2.8. But i have shot it and the results are very decent. If you take a Canon, even its the 6D, 5D or another lense and you want this type of zoom lense, this one is the best. Do not go for the 18-200 lenses from Canon, Tamron or Sigma. Those are a pain in the ass.

(And yes, i have them also ... ;), pure as test lenses or for video)

So, lets ake the 5D Mk III. In combination with the 24 - 105 its here in Holland around 3.700,- euro's, so thats around 4000,-. You will get a High Professional body. Magnesium Alloy body. Weather sealed. (so not underwater, but it will stand heavy rain). Digic 5+ processor and a 100 % accurate viewfinder.

The camera can producs images of 5760 x 3840 pixels with is 22.3 megapixel sensor. It will produce files to 33 MB's per photo (1 RAW file)

It has 61 auto focus points (!!!)

This model will go for 1/8000 of a second on shutterspeeds, ISO can go easily up to 6400 ISO. If you go higher than that, you will get noise in your image.

So, the Canon 5D Mk III is more bang for your money. Yes, its 1000 euros more expensive. But you will get alot more with it.

So, thats the Canon site. Yes, i am a Canon shooter. For personal use i use

Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 500D
Canon EOS 5d Mk II

Canon 24/70L f/2.8
Canon 70/200L IS mkII f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.8

Canon 18-135 IS f/3.5 - f/5.6
Sigma 18-200 OS f/3.5 - f/5.6
Sigma 18-200 f/3.5 - f/5.6

Canon original grips
Canon speedlight 580 EXII

A lot of battery's ;)
Shotgun microphone (philips)
A lot of SD class 10 cards and CF cards

And for work stuff i had

(For work stuff)
Canon EOS 5D mk III
Canon 24/70L f/2.8
Canon 70/200L IS mkII f/2.8
Canon 300 f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.4

3x Canon Speedlight 600EX-RT
8x Canon LP-E6 battery
1x Canon Grip

But for work stuff, i switched over to

2x Nikon D4
Nikkor 24/70 f/2.8
Nikkor 70/200 f/2.8
Nikkor 300 f/2.8
Nikkor 35 f/1.4
And off course, the Nikkor 50 f/1.5

Some speedlights etc.

So, yeah, for work stuff i switched to Nikon, because it produces in the studio some better quality images.

So lets see the Nikon side.

I am looking for the Nikon D600. I found the body for € 1.600,- And in combination with a 24 - 85 at € 2.000 euros.

You will get a Magnesium body with the EXPEED 3 image processor. It has a 24,3 sensor in it and this is also a Full frame camera. It has a 100 % accurate viewfinder and it produces files with the size of around 6016 x 4016 megapixels. That will be around 37 Megabyte per RAW image.

It has 39 focus points which will be more than enough for normal work. You can easily throw the ISO up to 6400 without getting much problems. A simple noise reduction will do the trick.

The maximum shutter speed will be 1/4000th of a second. So thats the same as the 6D. (a tad slow..)

About the lense. If you will not go for the 24 - 85, you can get the body for 1600 and pick up the Nikkor AF-S 24-120 F/4.0 ED VR. This is a semi professional lense with a little more reach than the Canon's 24-105. The price will be around the € 950,- euro's. So that will bring you up to around € 2.500,-.

I think you should not go higher with the Nikon D800 or what ever. The D800 produces too much megapixels to store on a trip. Its also an expensive camera and i think you can better get a D600 compared to the D800.

So, i narrowed it down to 3 camera's. All these camera's are pro camera's with fill frame sensors. It depends on how much you will be using it and where you are using it for. For personal use, i have enough with the 60D which is giving me everything i need for daily hobby stuff like car photography, person photography, animal etc etc etc. So it depends on what you want and where you want to use it for. I know for myself that i will not take my camera's outside when its raining, so i don't have the need for a weather sealed camera. But thats me.

Well, hope its a bit more clear :) Sorry for my bad English but i am a Dutchman :)

Greetings,
Roy
  • Page: