Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Old film lightmeter

Old film lightmeter 2 years 10 months ago #5515

I am just going through some equipment my brother brought down. When we were kids in the 60's we both had Practika MTL5's. My brother stored his in the attic and has just brought the bag here as I can use the lenses on my project for astrophotography.
In the bag is a light meter but of very good quality.
Is there any correlation between ISO and AsA which would make the meter usable for DSLR photography. It seems a shame to get rid of such a lovely piece of work.
In other words, can I use an old light meter as an extra tool with my Canon 550D.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Old film lightmeter 2 years 10 months ago #5519

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
ISO and ASA are essentially the same thing. Both represent the film's (or in this case, the sensor's) sensitivity to light. I would assume you set your ASA to match the cameras ISO. Im sure you could google the meter's make and model for more instruction.

Ive thought about picking up an older meter. Share your experiences, likes/dislikes, etc.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Old film lightmeter 2 years 10 months ago #5520

Only issue with using it is calibration. You have no idea how accurate it is so I would always back it up with another source just in case.
Please use the forum for photo questions instead of a private message, that way everyone can learn.

Old film lightmeter 2 years 10 months ago #5525

I've been mulling it over. In the old days you would rely on your ASA as a starting point. I used to shoot a lot of low-light stuff so my film would be 400 or 800 ASA. No reason why the same principle should not apply. After all you shoot in Av or TV priority, why not ASA or ISO priority.
I am awaiting some T-rings and then I will log my results.