Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Monitors for Photo editing

Monitors for Photo editing 2 years 9 months ago #5594

Can you comment on choosing a right IPS monitor for editing. I am stuck between two dell models P2414H ( £180) and U2413 (£380). The first one is cheap but not colour calibrated ( but I can by a Xrite calibrator for £140), while the second one is 100% SRGB , 10 bit and also colour calibrated but costly. My Question is that I dont have a 10 bit system and I just click portraits in studio, which one would be the best bargain for me.
Just for reference, I use a Nikon D7000 and shoot portraits of my daughter at home using three 300 watt Interfit flash heads.
Tivs
UK
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Anurag Tewari.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Monitors for Photo editing 2 years 9 months ago #5602

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
lightroom 5 doesn't support 10bit. It instead uses 8 bit + dithering which is fine.
10 bit is only useful in Photoshop for maybe 5% of the stuff you may work on. Things with gradual gradients.

Editing in 10 bit also means you need a supported gfx card (quadro or firepro). These cards are balls to the wall expensive.

I'd say as a starting monitor go for an IPS sRGB monitor and get a color munki or something

when you start to make some money, then you can get a wide gamut NEC or DELL. If you are in lightroom, forget about a 10 bit setup. I personally have a ten bit setup and its not worth the money the quadro costs, unless you are a gfx designer. In that case fine gradient accuracy is paramount.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Brent Ross.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anurag Tewari
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today