Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist????

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5883

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
better question is why do people buy them?
They are targeted toward people that never end up using them.
They sit and collect dust.

They are way to big and bulky for parties, friend gatherings, or quick outings for the typical person. People also usually don't want to be seen using them because they make you look like an antisocial total nerd.

Whenever a normal person that wants to take better than cell phone photos asks me for a camera recommendation I always point them to the Sony NEX mirror-less cameras. Just so sick of this DSLR lust.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5884

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Well Brent, good question, that makes me wonder why people buy point and shoots rather than a DSRL, point and shoots are entry level and unless you have a fully functional p/s, you won't learn.

They make these "entry" level cameras for budget people and for people starting out to see if they do enjoy photography. I certainly wouldn't want to spend a $1,000 on a camera if I didn't know if I would continue.

I purchased 2 p/s cameras before my first DSLR. The 2nd one was a mistake, I should have jumped in and got a DSLR right away instead of getting that 2nd p/s.

I've told people if your interested in photography and know you want to eventually move into a DSLR, then just get the DSLR now instead of wasting money on a p/s.

Yes a fully functional p/s will help you learn, but they just don't perform.
I've always been stuck in the rebel family. I would like to upgrade to the next family and the only thing i could afford is a lower end camera like the 6D (in that family).

But in the end, I think its because of consumers budgets.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5885

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So people like me can buy them B)

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5886

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
I'm complaining more toward marketing and how silly people can be.

People in this price range rarely buy another lens and don't care for the optical VF. Or how bubbly plasticy and toy like they are. They look really lame and no non photographer wants to whip one out at a party.

Not suggesting a Point and shoot, but instead a mirror-less. They look way way way cooler, are smaller, and fit in a purse or small bag, and pack an APS-C sensor in some cases. Much more social gathering, party, or travel welcome. I'm just saying companies like sony make a better all round camera. Canon's very weak attempt was the SL1.

I guess canon and nikon are feeding on peoples perception of what a good camera looks like. Much like a shoulder mounted video camera looks much more impressive then a DSLR when shooting video.

Oh speaking of perceptions. At my job we shoot video on nikons (taste that clean HDMI uncompressed feed) and everybody always thinks we are taking photos, yes... I'm taking photos of somebody being interviewed... for 15 min straight.... same shot....

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5901

Just like any product, there is a place for multiple cost levels of products. Not everyone can afford a $1000 camera or a $100000 car.

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5921

I shot my first film on a Practika which not only made good phography but could be used as a hammer, it was so robust. I bought a Pentax Z80 which is good but limited. I now have a Canon 550D. None of these cameras are really expensive but they do take photographs. So unless you are a professional the rest is just snobbery, one reason I will not join a photo club.

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5923

• Paul Sykes
  • Junior Boarder
  • "Advice always welcome."
  • Thank you received: 3
Greg means the poor bloke like me , and yes my D5000 is stuck in a bag not getting used right now so point proven on both points . And lets face it a crap D5000 can take an image as good as a D4, once you have been into photoshop or light room . which to be fair i hate to see its not the image that you take , its the one you create with the help of software , either way its a con .
Im not saying im the best but im in the top 1
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Paul Sykes. Reason: adding text

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5925

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Topic moved from the Welcome Mat into Photography Equipment. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5926

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I bought a D3100 to get started, and once I had the concepts down and wanted more / easier control in my shooting, I ended up getting a D7100 about 2 years later.

They exist as learning tools. They also exist to let people take nice images. My D3100 and the kit 18-55 lens took much better pictures than any nice P&S we'd ever owned. Someone who didn't care about photography but wanted to take nice images would be well-served by an entry-level DSLR.

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 6 months ago #5956

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry I made an overly dramatic title. I'm not saying there is no place for a low end DSLR. I own a low end DSLR and buy high end glass. That is a perfect excuse to why they should exist.

It's the marketing that is really messed up. They are marketed as the camera to replace the lowly point and shoot or small mirrorless camera. I feel its too bad that I see people that buy DSLRs because they were pushed by the marketing and the sales rep to believe they were better cameras.

Actually there is another youtuber blunty2000 who I enjoy, who mostly uses m4/3 and point and shoot and it makes perfect sense for his demographic his channel is aimed toward. People just view cameras as being on a scale of bad to good, but really its all about niche.

When i go biking I bring a point and shoot. People have said, why not bring your DSLR in a side bag, and I'm like... for the types of pictures im going to take, youll barely notice the diff.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Brent Ross.

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 2 months ago #6239

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The new full frame sony cameras are not as bulky and lighter.The sensors are just as good as the canons and nikons.That would be the way to go if you wanted something smaller.just sayin..

Why in hell do entry level DSLRs exist???? 2 years 2 months ago #6242

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Nikon & Canon = stable, unchanging, safe investment.
Sony = radical change and have swapped flash mounts and lens mount. From DSLRs to DSLTs to Mirrorless.

I recommend sony to the hobbiest that wants a compact camera that kills Canon and Nikon POS camera and even entry level DSLRs
Initially when I got into DSLRs I was going to go sony, but my friend got me into nikon because of the stability, and its a good thing because all my gear would have been obsolete at this point.

of course sony seems more stable now, and heck nikon cameras use sony sensors. but you never know with them
  • Page: