Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NOise levels

NOise levels 2 years 5 months ago #6102

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I always get freaked out when I look at an image at 100% and see the noise, yes I edit it some, but realistically should I worry about it, its not that bad, I guess I am asking even though i can noticably see it ditally, will it be noticable printed?

Ok, I guess one more question, yes I could google search, but to lazy right now..lol. Anyway, in lightroom, what is soft proofing? Is that to simulate what an image will look like when printed?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by jerry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NOise levels 2 years 5 months ago #6107

• Dave Clarke
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
One thing you can try depending on the type of picture is add a mild blur to the background. It can be done very quick and easily. You won't able to tell it's been blurred but there won't be any noise. Duplicate the layer and apply a Gaussian blur with a radius of about 5 - 10. Add a white layer mask and then with a soft brush paint onto the mask where you don't want the blurring to be applied. I did it on this picture, if you look at the large size you will see it is almost perfectly noise free on the areas where there would normally be some noise, if i would have added a couple more pixels to the radius of the blur it would completely gone, but that was good enough for me in that situation, it keeps it looking natural too. That was with a 5 pixel radius. The blurring is pretty much imperceivable when vied normally because it's very subtle and the the blurred are is naturally out of focus, but the noise will be gone. I did it in GIMP too
Digital Delay by 1Dave6, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Dave Clarke.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

NOise levels 2 years 5 months ago #6108

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Ya, I know I can sit here and blur it out, but to do it to 100 images, well..no patience here..lol. I guess I could print one out and see what happens huh

NOise levels 2 years 5 months ago #6111

• Dave Clarke
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Fair enough, i thought you where doing one image.