Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tripod Maintenence - Ball Head

Tripod Maintenence - Ball Head 1 year 11 months ago #6353

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey cazillions,
Happy holidays! So i need your help again. The other day I grabbed my tripod and noticed the ball head had this greasy, gummy, gunk around the base and knobs. Im assuming this is some sort of lubricant. Anyways, I'm having a hard time cleaning this stuff and i was wondering if any one had any tips. I tried googling ball head cleaning and/or maintenence and so far ive learned everything about cleaning the legs and joints but nothing about the ball head or gunk. Im really hoping i dont have to buy another head. Help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tripod Maintenence - Ball Head 1 year 11 months ago #6355

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
Who makes the head? It might be best to contact them as I haven't seen any ball heads with grease on the ball.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Tripod Maintenence - Ball Head 1 year 11 months ago #6358

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Its a vanguard SBH-100 (www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/pv/produ...tail-1-4-23-144.html). The grease (or lubricant) is around the adjustment knobs and the base of the body. Im wondering if this is an issue with lower end units. I was able to clean most of it using clorox wipes. I tried rubbing alcohol but that didnt do anything.