Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review

Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 10 months ago #930

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
So I bought the Lowepro photosport 200 AW. At 200 dollars (Canadian) its what I would consider an expensive bag. However, it does hold nearly 3 thousand dollars worth of photography gear so comparatively speaking its a bargain! All jokes aside I needed a comfortable bag that would hold my gear. Originally I was using a normal backpack (not the greatest set up) but once I bought my 24-70 2.8 I decided I needed a purpose built bag.

This bag is well built. Its made of lightweight material (some may say it feels cheap but I think they just used good quality, lightweight material). For anyone that does not know anything about this bag check the link on the bottom of this post, it runs through all the features better than I can. The bag holds my simple setup, canon t2i (550D) and 24-70 2.8 fit perfectly with maybe an inch to spare. I'm sure it will fit a thicker pro body with the 24-70 on it when I do eventually upgrade my body. In addition to this it can fit an extra lens in the camera compartment (in my case it has the 50 1.8 and some cables and such. The pocket above the camera section is large enough to fit anything I would need and the bag features a bunch of little pockets for smaller things (memory cards, keys etc.). Also, the addition of a rain cover and a place to put a tripod are nice.

My one problem with this bag is that you can't fit a 13 inch laptop in the section meant for a camel bag (a bag you put water in for hiking). Many reviews I saw on youtube said you could fit a 13 inch laptop in it but my macbook pro doesn't fit by at least an inch. Major design oversight! However, you can fit the laptop in the main compartment, it is less protected in there though.

Overall, I would recommend this bag for anyone who wants a camera bag that doesn't really look like a traditional camera bag. Also, this bag is perfect for anyone travelling with a simple camera setup. It's definitely worth the 200 dollars I spent on it.

Also, I'm waiting to see how it will work with my BlackRapid RS-Sport 2 (it's in the mail).

Please feel free to ask any questions or comment! What's your bag setup like?

products.lowepro.com/product/Photo-Sport%20200%20AW,2271.htm

****SEE UPDATE FUTHER DOWN THE PAGE****
Canon T2i (550d) 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8
500px.com/TimMarch
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Tim March.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 10 months ago #932

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like a pretty good bag.

I recently bought a ThinkTank Streetwalker Hard drive, so far I am really liking it. Although I might be in the market for something a little smaller to bridge the gap between my small Tamrac bag and the Streetwalker Hard drive, maybe something like a shoulder bag. I chose it over a Lowepro bag (Pro Runner 350, I think), because it was cheaper ($180 vs $220), the insides were a little nicer, and it was a little deeper. Plus my laptop fit better in the Thinktank.

Pictured below, clockwise from middle left:

Rocket blower in place of Nikon D5000 (with 35 1.8G used to take photo) with 180mm 2.8 attached, Nikon F, Sekonic L-358, film, Rolleiflex 2.8E3, rain cover, lens solution, Pentax Spotmatic with film, battery charger, Nikkor 28mm f/3.5.

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Andrew Olson.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 10 months ago #950

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Cool, that looks a lot like what my bag looks like.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 9 months ago #1065

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
I would just like to update this, after using this bag to go from victoria (where I go to school) back to vanoucver (where my family is) I have discovered that this si the most uncomfortable bag I have ever owned/used and I will be returning it The straps have little padding and the back part digs into your back (it has these contours for airflow). Absolutely the worst design ever. All that I had in the bag was my camera, t2i + 24-70 2.8 and my 13 inch macbook pro. Absolutely awful.
500px.com/TimMarch

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 9 months ago #1072

If you want a comfortable backback/laptop bag try out the ThinkTank Photo Shape Shifter. I love that bag and its super comfortable. I can get D3, D3s, 70-200, 24-70, 14-24, 60mm, 16" laptop, sb-800 plus a bunch of cables in it. Granted all that gear is heavy but the bag is still comfortable!

BTW if you use the link above you get a FREE bag too!

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 9 months ago #1073

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
Greg, I would love to use the link to support your site but they don't sell to us Canadians :(

I like that bag, my one issue with it is that you can't fit the camera with a lens attached to it in it. Do you find this to be an issue at all? Would you ever shoot out of this bag or do you just use it for travelling with your gear. Also, I only have 1 body (t2i) and 2 lenses (24-70 f/2.8L and 50 f/1.8 ) so I'm not sure if I would utilize all of the space, although I guess I could fit other things into the bag.

My other idea was to buy a thinktank holster (www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-...-v2.aspx?code=WS-422) and then put it into my normal backpack (assuming it fits....). I'll have to go to one of the 2 camera stores that supply thinktank products here in Vancouver and look around. Finding a bag has definitely proven to be harder than I expected.
500px.com/TimMarch
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Gregory Cazillo.

Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 9 months ago #1076

Here is the response I got from ThinkTank...All that matters is that you get a good camera bag. I am sure you will support the site in the future. Thanks!

Hi Gregory,

We don’t ship to Canada, sorry about that. Our distributor there is:

Nadel Enterprises, Inc.
425 Attwell Drive
Toronto, Ontario M9W-5C4 , Canada
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

They’re very responsive and can help the forum poster find our gear at a store nearest them.

Re: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW - Review 4 years 9 months ago #1078

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the info Greg! I've got two local stores that carry thinktank gear. I'll definitely go and check out all of their bags soon. Probably next weekend!

It's definitely a challenge finding a good bag. Just like you said in your most recent video, there is no one perfect bag. So true.
500px.com/TimMarch