Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen!

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 4 years 3 weeks ago #2480

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Guys,

This is a little Quick Tip section!. Here i will post some quick tips for you!

I don't know how frequent i will do this, but as long as you guys stay intrested i will do it ;)

Quicktip #1

Do you photograph out of the hand? Here is a rule for you. Never set your shutter speed longer than the amount of mm your are on your lense.

So if you are @ 300mm, your maximum shutterspeed is 1/300 SEC or higher (->). If you are @ 50mm, your maximum shutterspeed is 1/50 SEC or higher (->). With this trick you will avoid motion blur in your images.

(P.s. there are situations where a slower shutterspeed will work. This is just a tip which you can use if you have some issues with motion blur)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin, Jose Cruz, Paula

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 4 years 1 week ago #2494

• Roy van Ommen
So, another quick tip for this week ;-)

When you are using a lense which extends when you zoom in, try to make sure that when you put your camera down on the table, floor, open in the bag or so, that you will bring your lense down to the widest angle.

Because dust can fall on the lens which will go in to the lense it self and it can spread it there. Because when you zoom out again, the air which is in the lens has to go a way out of the lense. And if you are taking dust with it, you can have dust spots on your images :)

Good luck with this one ;)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 4 years 1 week ago #2500

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
OH! good one Roy, never thought of that :blush:

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 3 years 8 months ago #3702

• Roy van Ommen
So i wanted to make a sort of mentality tip. And i hope i will write it down properly.

The roots of photography is creating the image. Thats what Greg's shirt is saying. I am not taking photos, i am creating images. You are capturing moment.

Very often i see people struglling with camera settings. Sometimes i put my camera on auto and try to understand what the camera is doing. Sometimes i really don't know what setting i have to use and i let the camera decide.

If it s on P, Auto or what ever, if you are capeable to create the image.. you can be a millionaire. There some people who created millions of $$$ with photographing only on automatic. Just becuase they are seeing the image.

Are you struggling with settings? No inspiration or what so ever? Pull out your compact camera or put your DSLR on auto. Try to see the image and create the image. Afther that, worry about your settings :)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Jimmy Earp

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 3 years 6 months ago #4362

Sweet tip, Roy.

I sometimes will switch to AP mode or something to see what settings work and then go back to manual and go off of the automatic settings. Found that this helps in making images different, too. Becuase I think once we can shoot accurately in manual mode, we tend to approach it as a formula more than an art where there might be some different settings we can use and still get a quality exposure with very different results. :cheer:

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 3 years 6 months ago #4364

• Dwayne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I find it is also helpful to try different metering modes. Using Evaluative, Spot, Partial, Center weighted, Matrix... whatever yours are called; try different metering modes on the same scene.

Quick Tips by Roy van Ommen! 3 years 5 months ago #4472

• Roy van Ommen
Photography Tip #4

Try to watch your lines and try to line up your camera into the lines you can see in your viewfinder. If you are looking at a building Try to line up your camera on the bottom of the building to get your camera leveled to your horizon.

This will make sure that you are holding your camera horizontal which makes your image straight so you don't have to crop it when you are rotating the image.

You can also line up your composition with other lines like brick lines in buildings, the road, sidewalks and many more!

#KeepShooting

Roy