Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What camera should i buy!?

What camera should i buy!? 3 years 8 months ago #3703

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
So! there are a ton of questions about, what camera should i buy. What lens do i need. Which flash can i use.

The most common questions:

- Hi! I am new to photography, what camera should i buy?

Well, i have a new answer for this type of questions. You should buy none. Because you did not have looked seriously to photography.

The first question you have to ask yourself is. What do i want to create? Thats the question before asking yourself what kind of brand you want.

Ask yourself he question, what do i want to create and what m i going to do with it.

If you want to create images taken from sports like soccer, hockey or what ever. You can create the image with a Canon Rebel T2i. But you will grow out in no time. Thats because of the burst rate you have to consider. If you like to shoot hockey, you have to consider that you will be most of the time inside of a stadium.

Its almost the same question like. Hey i want a car. What do i need. You have to consider what you want to use it for. if you have 8 kids, you don't want to buy a Smart or a Mini Cooper because it will not fitt your needs.

So, before popping questions like hey! i want a camera what do i need. You can ask yourself the following questions

- What do i want to create with it
(Sports, portraiture, macro, flowers, persons, street, landscapes, nightlife, nighttime, video and so on, and so on)
- Do i need to make living out of it
- What do i want to spend on it (whats the budget)

If you have asked yourself those questions, you can ask guys like us a much more detailed question like:

Hi! I want to create sports. I want to make living out of it and i want to use it for portraits. Can you advise me camera which is good enough for fast sports and suitable for making portraits? My budget will be around 2000 dollar.

So we can respons with a proper answer and telling you exactly some camera's which you can consider. If you have looked them up on the internet you can go to your local camera store and ask if you can hold those camera's. Ask if they can give their honest advise (a lot of stores are being paid selling a particular camera brand). if they can, ask for their opinion and let them do their best to suit a camera to you.

If you don't have the feeling that it will work. Well, just rent a camera and try it out for a day or so. Try to upload the images to your computer and look if its creating something you want. After that you can decide if you want to buy that camera.

Everyone has their needs on camera's. For myself, i mainly shoot Canon because i like the brand and i like their camera's. But for my studios i have switched to Nikon. But we cannot decide for you whats the camera which will 100 % suits your needs.

So.. i hope i cleared some things out :)

Feel free to react on this

Greetings,
Roy
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Conor Casey, Jimmy Earp

What camera should i buy!? 3 years 8 months ago #3714

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Sound advice Roy. :)

One thing that I think is worth adding to the post if I may hijack your topic. :P I implore people to not only concentrate on the camera body, but also on lenses for a number of reasons.

Firstly, good lenses are a sound investment and will last several bodies if you buy good ones.

Secondly, depending on what you wish to create, you will often need the appropriate body and lens. Roy's example is a good one where he says that if you are going to be shooting hockey, you will need a camera with a fast burst rate. You will also need a long lens to go with that though because it is likely the kit lens won't get you close enough to the action. And you don't want to be up in the hockey player's faces with your brand new camera and an 18-55mm lens! :P

Similarly with macro photography where the kit lens will not be able to focus close enough regardless of what super-duper body you buy.

It's the same with portraits where a 50mm lens on any body won't produce the most pleasing portraits (see Greg's video on this.)

Roy's advice is excellent but my advice is don't concentrate 100% on what body you buy, lenses are very important too in fulfilling your vision of what you want to create. Overall, I think a dual-advice is to concentrate on both the body and the lenses you will need to shoot what you want to create.

And sorry if I hijacked your topic Roy, but I think it's important advice. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What camera should i buy!? 3 years 8 months ago #3716

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Roy and Conor

Having read both of your posts, where all your ideas are correct, it made me want add something to them :).

It is true that one of the most questions we see around is "What camera should I buy". With that, it is important to know which gear people already have, including lenses, so when giving advice the best suggestions are given. Furthermore, sometimes people don't need/want a DSLR, and for their needs a compact could be more than enough to satisfy their needs (since they might want one pocketable camera they can walk around all the time with). One important point for the advice on what camera should people buy is their budget where, all factors being known, advice can more objective.

Having said that (:)) why don't we create (sorry if there is already one created) one topic with a simple questionnaire where anyone who wants a new camera can simply follow and then members can give their suggestions? For example, questions could be the following:

- What equipment are you looking for?
A: Camera/Lenses/Tripod/etc

- What is your current gear?

- What are you looking to shoot?
A: Portraits/Landscapes/Sports/Macro/etc

- Where are you going to shoot?
A: Indoors/Outdoors/etc

- What is your budget?

This is a simple questionnaire that surely will help a new member who is looking for a new camera (or other gear). This way the "suggesters" have more knowledge so they can give the best advice :). What do you think?

Best regards
Tom