Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5

Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5 4 years 10 months ago #358

Checking your camera screen too often can lead to many missed opportunities for great photos. My suggestion is to minimize 'chimping' and turn off the auto image preview on your camera to reduce your bad habit.
Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5

Greg & his Nephew Alex by Cazillo, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5 4 years 10 months ago #660

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
that chimping habit greg. I am really trying hard not to do but still a monkey
Bigger is Better
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5 4 years 10 months ago #666

Keep trying! First step is to turn off auto preview.

Re: Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5 4 years 10 months ago #678

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have turned it of the moment you said on the video. Good student I am.

But still trying to cheat, buy pushing the play button to see what I have taken.
Bigger is Better

Stop Chimping - Photography Quick Tip #5 3 years 5 months ago #4361

This is a bit more of a complicated issue for me: when I chimp, I leave it on the screen that shows the histogram, so I chimp to view the histogram. Is the histogram a representation of the RAW infro or the .jpeg info? Hope it's raw but wonder if it's the .jpeg info. I shoot in RAW but have always wondered this.

I like the preview off because then the camera remains active. But it's also annoying when I want to chimp shots and see the histogram. And that's too much time to lose turning it on and off in menu via a Nikon so I usually go for leaving preview on even though I find it annoying: for me, the time to change it is less desirable than when I'm not chimping and have to depress the shutter half-way to get back to shooting mode.

I wish there was a way to program preview ON/OFF to a button, this would seem ideal. Or if there was a way to make the histogram appear in the viewfinder. The current system of chimping, I agree, costs too many good shots. But I like chimping sometimes, especially when I want to be sure all my data is to the right. So though I agree with Greg, I find it a necassary evil. I take far less pictures and walk away with a lot better quality images by checking my histogram every time I change something than just shooting blindly or off of experience.

I guess for added clarification: the reason I'm advocating chimping here is not to view the picture but the histogram and the way I shoot is way too fast to not chimp. I'll take maybe 1-2 shots before I change things, be they comp, light, settings or a combo of the 3. So the histogram is what I rely on to ensure that my changes are correct because, due to Greg;s wonderful post about why it is important to get correct exposure every time, I find that I do far less stuff to my pics in post when the exposure is correct and it results in a lot higher quality images (less grain, sharper, richer, etc.)
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by nathan sterken.