Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows -

Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #892

cazillo.com/articles/37-photography/189-...raphy-quick-tip.html

You should be setting your camera's exposure with the highlights in mind. Be careful not to overexpose important parts of the image by using the histogram. Exposing this way will give you the maximum amount of data to create better & more colorful images.

Next step is editing your photo. Its easy to adjust your shadows in Lightroom to have a full tonal range. Check out the video!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #901

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
So is it right to say, slightly overexpose the image and then bring it down in lightroom by adding contrast etc.?

Would it be possible for you to make a screen flow of you editing an image like this? or would you say this video you did illustrates the editing side of this tip?
Canon T2i (550d) 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8
500px.com/TimMarch
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #903

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have noticed that digital loves light, more so than film. For example, I was using my Nikon D5000 as well as my Tele-Rolleiflex (unusual comparison I know) in the studio a few weeks ago and observed a few things.

First, like I said, digital loves light and needs a lot of it. Film, not so much, I had the same settings on both cameras (shutter speed 1/125, aperture f/16, ISO 400), digital version came out a little dark while the film version came out about 1/2 stop brighter than the digital. I do have to say the film version seemed like the more correct exposure. The only variable in this could be the shutter on the Rolleiflex is a tad slow due to age, but to me it sounds fine.

Having been edited in Lightroom (exposure up, contrast, etc) the print from the d5000 was still dark. So my conclusion to my unexpected experiment was that digital requires more light than film, maybe 1/2 stop or more depending on the situation. Has anyone else encountered this?

And over the past few weeks using my Nikon I have been keeping the exposure about two little bars to the left of center (in my case left is over exposed and right is under) to make sure I can get enough light, but not so much as to completely blow out high lights, as digital tends to do.

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Andrew Olson.

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #906

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
As Andrew mentioned, I noticed a bit off exposures if I keep my D5000 at the middle pf the bar. It's been awhile now that I've been shooting 2/3rds overexposed in Manual Mode.

Though I shoot more of Aperture Mode, I might try and experiment with exposure biases after my midterm exams... life of a student.

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #908

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
I´m dull in this case. I don´t understand this quicktip (see my comment) :huh:
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #910

Tim March wrote:
So is it right to say, slightly overexpose the image and then bring it down in lightroom by adding contrast etc.?

No, unfortunately digital is just as, if not more, picky to get perfect exposures as slide film. I have a video coming up tomorrow explaining this more.

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #912

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That is also my impression, that the usable dynamic range of a DSLR is around 7 stops, with a tendency of the matrix metering to meter the average so that there are 3 stops down before black and 4 stops up before burn, also depending on the lens, I think that with zoom lenses, the average is metered a bit darker than with primes. And if the ISO is pushed, that changes (besides limiting the total dynamic range with 1-1.5 stops) to an average metering that shifts towards a higher EV, with less stops dynamic available going up and more going down. It could well be just an impression of course, I don't know enough of digital photography to really pinpoint it. Does that even make sense? :)

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #913

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
Problems are increasing, if the scenery is very contrasty. I often made the experience that film has the drop on digital in these cases. That´s why I often have trouble by exposing the lights instead a midrange tone.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.

Re: Expose for the Highlights, Print for the Shadows - 4 years 10 months ago #916

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i look forward to seeing the vid tomorrow greg! thanks for the reply
Canon T2i (550d) 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8
500px.com/TimMarch