Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: photo assignments or contests

photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1335

If I were to start photo contests or assignments what do you want? I don't know that I can provide a real 'prize' as sponsors are a bit hard to come by right now or are dedicated to other upcoming projects. I have some pretty big stuff coming in the way of new videos which has taken most of my time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1337

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Greg..

Contests - I think should be light hearted, fun & just a little bit of a challenge, something to make us get out & shoot. It'd be interesting to see everyones 'take' on the challenge & then to have you share your thoughts on our entries would be great.

Assignments - Should be tough & make us learn, you'd need to set us strict instructions on what to shoot or how to shoot something & then correct us if we dont do it right!!

The lack of prizes/sponsors certainly is not an issue for me, I'm not here to win a prizes! I'm more than happy that you are willing to take the time & help me learn how be be a better photographer :)
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1339

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Contests: I agree with Clair about them being fun and easy-going but still a bit of a challenge, we shouldn't take them too seriously. I think we should have a general "theme/issue/topic" each week, month or fortnight (or whatever we decide the time frame to be), and then we go out and shoot. After the time limit, we should submit our individual takes on the subject and you judge it offering a critique and advise, pointing out the good and the bad, and what could have been done better. Other members should also feel free to offer their opinions on the photos and hopefully we will have some lively debates and discussion. Of course, we must keep it polite and civil. :P

Don't worry about the lack of prizes Greg, it doesn't bother me anyway. It would be fun and would hopefully get the forum buzzing.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1354

Same as above. Don't worry about the prizes. The critique is what most of us are looking for to help us improve. Thanks for considering!

Mike

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1366

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I agree with Clair!

And for the prizes, I don't one bit if we don't have prizes. For me it is just the learning experience that counts.

It is a great way for us to try some shots we never thought of shooting and it will get me motivated to go out and shoot more in general.

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1376

• Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
How about this:

Whoever wins the contest get's a full critique of their portfolio via Flickr/500px. Greg could film the critique which may last about half an hour if there's a lot photo's and place it on the internet's for us all to digest!

Doing this would mean both the contest winner and photographer's in general will be able to view the content and hopefully gain some new skill's.

WahLah!

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1382

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Great suggestion robert!

photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1389

Thanks everyone.

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 7 months ago #1434

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I also agree with Clair. I'd be all for it.

Scott

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 6 months ago #1437

You can do a assignment where we all have a sertaint amouth of time to go out and shoot some photo´s.
And after the deadline you (greg) pick the best, lets say 10. and you give critics, what you would have done different and what you like about it. and put it in a video on youtube, so that everyone can learn from are mistakes.

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 6 months ago #1448

Learning to do it right is the best prize of all!!

Re: photo assignments or contests 4 years 6 months ago #1510

• dave seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • canon all the way..
  • Thank you received: 2
Well a 7d wouldnt go a miss if you were to send one to me big man !!! obviously youd have to fix it for me to win first.
i got no chance of winning im crap :)

But seriously i agree with them up above me, it doesnt matter about prizes just getting a mention is good enough for me ...
Im here to learn and have some fun along the way.
7D. 24-105L.
50mm f1.8
100-400 f4.5.6 IS
430exii.